my boiler...it's windy and cold

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by maplesky7, Dec 21, 2008.

1. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Well,
    I woke up last night to a house temp of 48 degrees. My boiler is having a hard time keeping up with this wind and temp.'s somewhere between 20 and 30 below zero with the wind factor.

Drifts in my drive...I'm running out of wood....me and my 2 yr. & 7 yr. old made a nest in front of the wood burner and are watchin Christmas programs.

We got out last night before the wind and played in the snow....

But now someone can turn that wind off please and get my house back to a comfortable level.

Had the repair guy out and he increased my water temp....it's just a bad day for a poorly insulated old house.

I need a hug.

me,
    g

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We are almost out of wood too. We had an offer that if we go chop it we can have it but they are huge stumps and we need to borrow a chain saw.....

What's up with your boiler????

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know how to do the hugs but my thoughts and prayers are with you. And I want to say how I admire you making the best of things with family time with the kids!

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Deb...if only we were closer...you could use our chainsaws as long as you brought me back some wood. grin.

What's up with my boiler? Hmmm....well, it's approaching close to 30 yr.'s old but the main thing is the plumbing and poor insulation. No wind breaks in front...just pasture and feilds....nice view when it ain't so nasty out. Times like this...I wish I had some nice thick and tall evergreens out front and forget the view.

WriterofWords...would you believe these girls are eating sherbet right now?

brrrrr. What ever floats thier fancy at this point. ha ha.

Thanks for the hugs as well.

Well,
    Yesterday my Angel Food Ministry box of food came in---I got one for me and one for a local family in need--that always warms your heart. My church will be getting me a chord of lumber come tomorrow when my Pastor found out I was without heat. And my church also gave me a gift card for the local supermarket and another one for Walmart for Christmas gifts this year. I have been blessed by a loving congregation.

I'd cry but I'm afraid it may freeze.

Those gifts will sure come in handy when this storm blows over.

In the mean time the food box I bought at a reduced rate from the angel food ministry was full of nice choices. I also splurged and got the Holiday Fruit box this time and it came stock full of grapefruit, red, green, and yellow apples, pears, oranges, tangelos, and tangerines! Do you know how bright and cheery all those colors looked when I opened the box? And then we each picked a fruit and went and cuddled up on the couch together.

I'm feelin all cozy just thinking about it.

hugs,
    g

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  5. debilorrah

WOW how wonderful!!!! I love the way people come together to help each other. I wish it happened more often than the holidays though.

Personally, I am so exhausted from all the running around Id id this weekend, shopping for Christmas, grocery shopping, shopping for my mom and delivering it, wrapping ALL the gifts, etc. I am pooped!

6. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    It happens more than around the holidays...but it does seem people are more generous around then.

I'm pooped too.

My outside cat who declared herself inside cat....spent the night trying to sit on my head. Poor poor Goldie sun.

And I spent the night going back and forth looking and adjusting my thermostats and plugging in my electric heaters....where I could...since I almost started an electrical fire with one last week. And making sure my girls had 3 thick blankets on them....and then they'd kick them off....and I'd cover them back up...all night long.

me,
    g

7. debilorrah

Oh dear, you ARE tired. I still have dinner to whip up, but we decided on burgers, chips and dip because I am tired. I will be so thankful when Christmas day gets here. No more errands, or work, for 4 days!!! [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    G...[​IMG]...you are so strong!..you are such a good example for those girls!...they are blessed to have such a great mom!..stay warm, and snuggle with your snuggie...[​IMG]...

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    giggle giggle....but I don't got no manties.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:..[​IMG]..goof!..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by