My Boston has seizures

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
He started when he was 2, now he is 5. He was put on Phenobarb, and at the max dose, he still had them. Then they added Potassium Bromide. Still had them. They maxed out the Potassium Bromide.
What's next?
Now he is constantly peeing on the floor like several times a day even tho he goes outside like 7 times a day. And poops on the floor now and then. At 4 months old, he was 100% house broken, and we never had a problem prior to the Potassium Bromide. Help! Everytime I turn around he has peed on the floor again.

hugs.gif
Sorry I have no clue about those meds, what does the vet say?

Seminole - First please let me say how sorry I am your Boston is going through these troubles. For such sweet little critters they sure to suffer a multitude of ailments. I know how frustrating it is to have a dog that can't control themself due to an illness. They just know they've done wrong but can't help themselves.

I don't know anything about seizures in particular, but I do know that they can usually get them under control in dogs. Have you considered talking to a different vet? Perhaps finding one that specializes in small dog diagnosis? My folks have a Boston that had a lot of problems that their vet just couldn't get regulated. Finally, they switched vets to one who is used to disease diagnosis and he's gotten her straightened out.

It's just a suggestion. I'll be thinking of you and your little sweetie. We've got 2 Bostons at home, one who had cancer at 6 years old and is blind in one eye and another that is only 11 weeks and had a cancerous tumor removed at 8 weeks. They are totally worth it though.

i'm so sorry seminolewind! Many years ago i had a cat that had epilepsy. i had to give him Phenobarb every day. After about five years it took a toll on his kidneys, and i would have to take him in for subque fluids. Then he got to the point where he was not so careful about where he went to the bathroom. He looked to be going downhill and the seizures seemed to get worse over time. i finally put him to sleep. If it were me now, i probably would have gone to a different vet. Perhaps my cat was developing other medical issues that could have been addressed.

Has your vet checked your dog's kidneys to make sure they are still functioning correctly? Or, it could be the onset of diabetes. That can make an animal pee a lot. Sometimes once a vet has diagnosed one issue, they don't take the time to continue to look for other possibilities. Five is still very young. i hope you find some answers quickly.

I'm sorry about your baby. I have an epileptic kitty and it kills me to see her seize. Consider getting a referral to a neurologist. There may be other options for your pup.

Good luck!

Hi, thankyou so much for answering. I think you are sooo right. I think I'm going to look for another vet. He is maxed out on his 2 meds, and he's not having less seizures than he did before he started meds. In fact they've gone from one to several in a row.
Sorry that your little ones also have problems. It's heartbreaking.
I am going to look for another vet. -Karen

I have a malamute that had seizures as well....i had noticed that it ALWAYS got worse after she had her yearly vaccines...

we went through a really rough period with finances so we did not get her vaccines for about 3 years and the seizures stopped...

when money got a little better the first thing i did was get her shots done again and bingo the seizures started again.

I spoke to a few breeders about my problem and they said to me that there is a know affect with mamamutes and vaccines...it causes seizures..

now what we have to do it get her vaccinated in boosters like a puppy...and this has controlled the seizures. But i had to change vets and find one who took into account the research done by the breeders...so after 6 years she is still seizure free...she did not start having them till she was 2 so I am wondering if there may be a simular thing happening?..Just a thought
hugs.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a good look at the info on this site, especially about over vaccinating our pets, and hypothyroid. There are over 30 symptoms of thyroid problems and I found this site in desperation...it has saved two of my weimaraner's lives and another rescue weimaraner was too bad off so I had to put him out of his misery. I have the two hypothyroid weims blood tested annually and will never again vaccinate them. Immunity is usually for life once vaccinated and to be sure, I have their blood tested for immunity. That test is called a titer level.

itsfortheanimals.com
http://itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-BEHV-THYROID.HTM
Read thru HemoPet, too...there is also a group that I joined for support, all members have learned the hard way and know much more about their animal's health problems than most veterinarians if you'd like to join, pm me...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom