My Boston Terrier killed a FOX!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sred98, Aug 6, 2009.

1. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've posted before on BYC about my Boston Terrier, and how protective she is of the chickens. I noticed I was missing a new hen, and was searching all over for her. I still haven't found her, but did smell something dead. I walked all over trying to find what was making that smell, and of course Ruby was following me. I asked her what that smell was and she led me to a culvert that runs under the drive leading to the chicken house. I looked in, and there was the fox with it's face ripped off! I am thinking she attacked it, and it crawled in there to die. Because when I pulled it out, she went nuts grabbing and shaking it until I got it back from her.

I am guessing that the fox probably snagged my hen, and the dog got the fox. I am shocked that she did this. She did insist on staying out all night the other night, and refused to come inside. She's never gone after anything this big. Usually bullfrogs, squirrels and the occasional cottonmouth. It's funny, because she is so gentle with the ferret and cats, and will break up chicken fights and chase off hawks. If a chicken charges her she will run off, but she takes her job seriously! She's even started trying to break up my mating geese, because she thinks they are fighting. Even though they are biting her, she keeps getting between them til they give up.

I just had to brag on my dog. I know that most people haven't had good luck with Bostons and chickens, but she is THE BEST!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shelly

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like you have found a real keeper there. Take good care of her.

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Boston Terriers are cousins to my dogs, which of course, make them great dogs! [​IMG] Definitly a good dog.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I wouldn't assume that the Boston Terrier killed it. I would worry more for her safety from whatever did kill it. I doubt a Boston Terrier could take out a fox unless it was sick.

5. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Songster

May 31, 2009
    MN
    BOstons are the BEST> I used to have two and would love more. Congrats on the great dog!

6. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    If you read up on the history of the Boston Terrier you will find that they are bred down in size from----------------------Pit Bulls. Also known as Round Heads.
    That being said, I wouldn't think a Boston could kill a fox. Perhaps your dog is a bit larger with a longer muzzle than most Bostons.
    Give her a good pat, it sounds like she wants to patrol her domain!!!
    Carrie

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I wouldnt be so sure, we had a min pin kill a possom that was 2 times the size of her!

8. lavacaw

lavacaw Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I had a boston for years...it would go after any sized dog it thought was invading its territory or threatening anyone in the family. Yep, I can believe the Boston did it. Congrats on a wonderful dog...give him some extra treats this week! [​IMG]

9. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Songster

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congratulations give her a pat and an extra treat!
    I myself would never get get on the bitting end of any small dog, they can be vicious!

10. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I think she did it, and what a good dog!! YAY!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: