my bouncing baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicola, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    this is my chick who is an absolute mammas boy(or girl) at the momnet it is seperate from the others 2 chicks who i think are a week older then her( or him) because they were picking on it because of its bad leg which is in a splint at the moment . but anyway i was putting it with the others to see if they would start up again and i went to move the feeder and it ran from one side of the box to the other just to jump into my hand [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and p.s does anyone know whwat breed it might be?? i dont know scince i hatched it a school and the teacher doesnt know

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it doesn't start to have a distended bum, my guess is it is a white leghorn. Hard to see it's legs, but as long as it doesn't only sit and eat, it is liky not to be a cornish x meat bird.

3. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    no its verry active and LOUD and high pitch but i have a feeling it might be a mutt or something else cause it has a light orange band around its neck ?? distended bum what does that mean?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Please remember no bumping and allow a good amount of time to pass so people have time to reply. By distended, I mean sticking out like a meat bird would. If they got the eggs ordered from a school type place, they are likely production layers or production meat birds. More likly layers thus likly white leghorns and not cornish x rocks.

5. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i think it does have a distended bum but not often but most of the time its normal(as in not sticking out) does that mean its a meat bird? or just has a weird bum. abd it doesnt sit there and eat it eats when it needs to and its crop isnt big its small ut i am trying to get it to fill its crop up a bit more it seems kinda emptyish

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    hope this helps figure out if its a meet bird or a cross between an meet and a layer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does that help

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Looks like a white leghorn to me.

The band on the legs is likely there to keep it from getting leg injuries. some times a chick's legs is weak and will spread appart, injuring them so that it cant walk properly. You likely already knew that though.

8. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:YEAh i put the splint of because the teacher didnt stop student opening the incubator after day 18 so there were some issues with legs and stuff her were pretty bad there was one whos leg were right behind it and i thik its dead now. but this one only one leg was out behind it so i fixed it still needs to be on there for a couple more days though and this chick is VERY LOUD

9. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Your chick is probably loud because she is alone and/or cold. They peep very loudly when they aren't with other chicks. She also needs to stay warm, you should be keeping her somewhere about 95 degrees right now.

10. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    she has a heat pack which i keep warm at the moment she is sun baking and the reason she isnt with the other 2 chicks who are a week or 2 old is cause they pick on her badly sitting on her pecking her eyes, bum, feet anywhere but its realy hard pecks and im also waiting til she can walk a bit better b4 i put her back in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by