My boy is 'Hen Pecked'!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LemonDoodles, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I have two 13 week old Pekins. A girl and (I think) a boy. In the last few days Muddy (the female) has been sitting alone in the pool why Olive stands by looking at her. It has been really hot so it's been a concern as he gets to panting pretty quick. Turns out, she's been chasing him out when he attempts to get in. He's only in when she isn't except for one time yesterday they were both in sleeping. Also, I had them in the big pool and they were swimming in circles. She was literally attached to his tail with her bill. She look like she was skitching! haha. He has notches nipped out of his tail feathers too. What the heck is going on? He is way bigger (she's 5lbs he's almost 7lbs) but she's always been pinchier. Is she trying to rule the roost?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I even noticed my Muscovy hens doing this too each other, I'm thinking dominance issues. they will work it out I'm sure.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Aww, poor guy!

Can you get him his own little kiddie pool? If you set them a little ways apart from each other, he can cool off in peace. But not too far because, I suspect, hen-pecked though he is he doesn't want to be too far from her either. Good luck with them--girls can be mean, but they don't usually cause lasting harm. Maybe she needs a girl friend to keep her busy?

4. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I was originally thinking a bigger pool but that might not be a bad idea... thanks.

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    A concrete mixing tub is big enough to get in and cool off. It's easy to clean out too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by