my br has been eaten...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by maplesky7, Apr 4, 2009.

1. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    But only just slightly. Wondering what you all think...

I went to shut them in last night and I didn't see one. I walked around with a flashlight and couldn't find her.

I forgot to shut the coop door the night before? Temp.'s got into the lower 30's. And we were out feeding them treats yesterday but didn't notice anything...she would have been right there to the left of us at our feet...from where we were feeding treats...if she was dead at the time?

I went out this morning and found her inside the run with her neck tore open and her side torn open and no eyes...so very minimal "meat" was taken.

I was wondering had I missed her and made her freeze to death or just died for whatever reason...she was 3...and perhaps a rat? or something small as suggested by a friend said got her during the night.

I also wondered if she died and then her mates ate her?

Or I do believe I have a racoon living in my garage rafters...I found lots of paw prints on my car windsheild and I know it's not my cats paws...because i've got her indoors now. I called a farmer friend and he just brought me a trap...told me to put marshmellows in it and call him when I get something and he'll come and dispatch it at his farm.

My fence has some open spots and I am in the process of getting better sturdier fence and waiting for a friend's dh to be available to help me put it in.

Besides a neighbors dog...this is my first loss to a predator.

I feel bad for her. I'm just suprised not more was eaten from her.

What do you all think it was?

me,
    g

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. bird of a feather

bird of a feather Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    We have mink here in Central Illinois that will do that sometimes. We've also had hawks, we think. They seem to only take what they need and leave the rest. My bet is on mink. I'm sorry for your loss. Been there.

3. bayside chick

bayside chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    A `coon would have done more damage....almost certainly eaten the entire head. [​IMG]

Sorry to hear of your loss. [​IMG]

I caught another `coon last night. [​IMG] It`s been over a week since I last got one.

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I know I've seen mink at the college that is 30+ miles from here and I talked to one friend who saw one at her apt. with a fishing lure stuck in it's mouth and actually let her catch it and get it out...and she lived a little closer. So I do know they are around.

Last fall or end of the summer I think it was, my window was open and there was a commotion outside and there was this STRONG musk odor but not skunky...just musky. I ran outside to see my cats looking downward and the gutter spout had been knocked off and that's what made the clatter...if fell on black top. But that the cats weren't scared but rather curious and their eyes were transfixed downward made me consider it could have been something weaselly.

I know we have hawks and there was a juvy checkin them out for several days last season...almost got one but all i found was feathers and no wounds on any of the white chickens. but boy, was that hawk persistant...visited everyday for 3 days straight before moving on. The run doesn't have a cover on it but has so many tree branches I would think it would be hard for a big bird with a large wing span to manuever...but I suppose anything is possible...I'd like to see it to believe it.

I also believe she had to be taken over night....there are some chickens acting rather flighty today more than usual.

me,
    g

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    oh and dumb me threw the chicken over by the burn pile and intended to put her in the dumpster later...well, my old shepard ate her head off and then my 2 dd's came upon her and my 3 year old is devastated. She was bawling and crying..."My chicken! My chicken! Mommy's chicken! My chicken!"

...but she keeps on blaming the "naughty rooster" that attacks her. And I keep telling her, no, it wasn't the rooster, it was a wild animal.

So we said a little prayer and asked God to protect our flock.

Thanks for your input.

me,
    g

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    aww G! sorry to hear about your birdie! [​IMG] i dont know what it could have been..i know when the weasel/mink got my girls they took the head off one..as for the eyes being pecked..i dont know what would do that...something small..or something with a beak would have had to eaten the eyes.... [​IMG]

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I didn't expect Ava to be so hurt by it...only because of the way she reacted when our outside cat died...me and the 7 yr. old are crying and Ava's skippin behind us saying, "happy, happy, happy, fresco's happy."

out of the mouths of babes, I thought.

So I smiled and said he was happy now because he was in heaven and didn't have anymore pain. Fresco was 17 yrs old and the day before he died he got up from his spot and went and presented his head to the then 2 yr. old for her to pet. He adored us and Ava loves all our animals.

And then there's when the fish die...she can barely wait for it to hit the water and she's flushing right away quit pleased with herself but it sure upsets her older sister who wanted to have "words," before the deed.

I did tell them before they actually saw her that I couldn't find one of our bared rock hens last night and I found her today and something had gotten her. When old farmer guy came over with his trap...they helped put the marshmellows in and were happy to help catch a critter.

Don't know what I'll catch but I have it in my garage. I probably have a few things to "catch" or dispatch. sigh.

What's a girl to do?

me,
    g

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Sorry for your loss, g. Don't know what it was but would probably rule out any decent sized mammal.

9. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Racoons will definately kill chickens so I do not tolerate them around here, If it was a 'coon something could have spooked him during the attack and so didn't do more damage to the bird. I think I would try wiring a raw chicken leg to the bottom of the trap - behind the trigger plate - instead of the marshmallows. Racoons can be VERY hard to trap sometimes. So very sorry about your loss - I know it can be tough on the little ones. Best of luck! Keep us posted on what you catch - I've never heard of using m.mallows but if it works will be good to know......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by