My BR Hen was killed by a large dog, and little bantam Roo misses her!

HappyHenMama

Chirping
7 Years
My poor little Bantam Roo (Sal) is so upset. He saw his favorite girl get attacked by a large dog and couldn't do anything to save her. I managed to scare off the dog but she didn't make it. Now Sal is looking for her. He keeps going to the side of the house where she was laying after the attack. He'll find a bug and cluck for her to come get it. It's so sad. He has a new adolesent flock to look after, but he doesn't seem as interested in looking after them as he is looking for his Sara. My Bantam Hen is caring for her new chick right now and won't be ready for mating for a couple of weeks...so I'm wondering how long he will grieve? Any advice on what I can do to help him adjust? I feel so bad for him. : (

scratch'n'peck

Crowing
Oct 31, 2008
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
So sorry about Sara. Poor Sal. I know it is heart breaking to see him sad. I'm glad he has other chickens around at least. It is hard to say how long he will grieve. I guess just like people who have had a loss, you just have to give it time and be there for him. I wouldn't rush out to get him another hen to replace Sara, since he will soon have others who will be interested in his attention.

HappyHenMama

Chirping
7 Years
So sorry about Sara. Poor Sal. I know it is heart breaking to see him sad. I'm glad he has other chickens around at least. It is hard to say how long he will grieve. I guess just like people who have had a loss, you just have to give it time and be there for him. I wouldn't rush out to get him another hen to replace Sara, since he will soon have others who will be interested in his attention.
Thank you for your nice words and advice.

Top Bottom