My Brabanters comb & Standard rare breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by L&Schickens, Oct 16, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Yeah! He finally is getting his comb in. I am going to take him and one hen to a show in December, only to present them. I do not expect to win anything with them. My roo lost most of his tail and just looks terrible, but they are rare here and so I am going to bring them anyway for people to see them. I have 4 hens and one roo of Cream Brabanters. One hen looks like a bantam, she is so small.
    I am also taking a pair of my Norwegian Jaerhons. I only have a trio of them, but they are rare and I want to show people what they look like in person.
    I am also going to take a pair of my Welsummers. I have a roo and 5 hens. I got a trio from a private breeder in California and have a pair of hens from Ideal hatchery. I can't wait till they start laying.
    All of these birds are 5 months old.

See his tiny tiny comb coming in? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My best hen
    [​IMG]

Jaerhon roo and Brabanter roo
    [​IMG]

Jaerhon (Cornflake) back. They are my garbage disposals some times.
    [​IMG]

My bantam looking Brabanter hen
    [​IMG]

Jaerhon hens
    [​IMG]

Pair of Jaerhons
    [​IMG]

Cornflake (Jaerhon roo)
    [​IMG]

Brabanter roo (I don't have him named yet)
    [​IMG]

Wellington and his hens (Welsummers)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the mud. It has been raining.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I think you chickens are cute.. But Wellington and his ladies are beautiful..I hope they do well at your show...Dixie

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I love Wellington. I am so happy I got him. I ordered only pullets from the hatchery and a few died. Then I took a trip to CA and my MIL found a trio who were about same age as mine, so I took them home!

I think I will name the Brabanter roo, Spike. What do you think?

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Those birds are beautiful how do the norweagians lay?

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I don't know yet, but they are supposed to be "Winter" layers. They lay a white egg. They are the only chicken developed in Norway. [​IMG]

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    The Norwegian Jærhøne or Jaerhon, is a breed of chicken from Norway. It was developed in the 1920s from native stock around the town of Stavanger on the southern Atlantic coast of Norway. The breed was first imported to North America at the beginning of the twenty-first century.

Jaerhons are small, hardy, and active birds that can fly well. Hens don't tend to go broody, and can wear themselves out by laying lots of large white eggs. The standard cock is 5 pounds, and the hen can weigh 3.5 pounds.

7. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Spike is a great name! and I think he's beautiful!

I have some welsummers, too, and they are some of the prettiest birds I have. The girls just seem so petite and dainty!

8. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I really like the Jaerhons. They are one of my top 10's. I bet they are good foragers.

9. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    They are good. I think most chickens are. My Jaerhon hens always try to roost somewhere other then the coop, so I am always having to catch them and put them away. I can't wait till next year to see how long they really do lay for.

10. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    L&Schickens :

My Jaerhon hens always try to roost somewhere other then the coop, .

urgg. That has become my pet peve!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by