My Brahma hen can’t stand

Chickarrer

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2018
One of my 8mos old Brahma hens was found lying in the dirt, early in the morning, 7 days ago. Her wings and legs work fine and she does not have any wounds. I fear my pet bunny stressed her out. He is out of the coop now. They’ve always gotten along, but he’s been up in this chickens business lately and possibly got on top of her and stressed her out. I’m just not sure. She was cold when I found her, but she warmed right up and has been eating and drinking ever since. She flaps her wings and has great strength in both legs. I made her a sling box and she likes it. She cleans herself and seems pretty happy. She was laying, but hasn’t since I found her. She is not egg bound and her stools are great and formed, but sometimes watery. When I stand her up, she falls forward. Two days after the I found her, I was changing her area(she’s isolated, but can see the flock.. otherwise she goes on a hunger strike) and the rooster came running over and jumped her:/ That didn’t help I’m sure. He could have hurt her to begin with, but I doubt it. She’s a Brahma and he’s a silkie.. he thinks he’s in charge, but the ladies do what they want. There’s 4 Brahma hens, 2 Americana hens, 2 silkie hens and the silkie roo. They are all super friendly and have been together since April. They’re all 7-8 months old. I’ve googled and I just can’t really figure out what’s wrong.. he symptoms just don’t seem to match much other than getting roughed up by a roo/bunny in this case. She was totally fine the day before:( I hope someone here can help us. Thank you!

he symptoms just don’t seem to match much
Sounds just about like Marek's. :hmm

Hopefully it isn't. :fl

Could also be nutrient issues... what do you feed including treats and supplements? Anyone else able to bully or keep her away from feed? What do you feed including treats and supplements? Are you able to post a pic or video using youtube or vimeo and posting here? Were any of the birds vaccinated for Marek's? Did they come from a feed store/hatchery or private seller?

Sorry you face this, it my least favorite way to welcome anyone to the group. That being said, Welcome to BYC! :frow I hope you get lots of good answers and a rapid recovery! You say her legs are strong... but she can't or won't stand on and use them? So basically she can kick or push but doesn't have control? Can you feel any heat that would indicate an injury you can't see?

Sounds just about like Marek's. :hmm

Hopefully it isn't. :fl

Could also be nutrient issues... what do you feed including treats and supplements? Anyone else able to bully or keep her away from feed? What do you feed including treats and supplements? Are you able to post a pic or video using youtube or vimeo and posting here? Were any of the birds vaccinated for Marek's? Did they come from a feed store/hatchery or private seller?

Sorry you face this, it my least favorite way to welcome anyone to the group. That being said, Welcome to BYC! :frow I hope you get lots of good answers and a rapid recovery! You say her legs are strong... but she can't or won't stand on and use them? So basically she can kick or push but doesn't have control? Can you feel any heat that would indicate an injury you can't see?
Hi. Thank you. They all eat later crumbles, organic mixed vegetables and mealworms daily. There’s electrolytes and vitamins added to there water now. They’re not vaccinated and are from a private breeder. It could be Mareks, but hopefully not. I can’t find any lessions and no warm areas. She might have some fluid retention though? Yes, she kicks real hard with her legs and flaps her wings normally. I’ll get some video in a bit and post it too. They could all be Marek carriers and the bunny stressed her enough to bring it out.. hoping that’s not the case. Her spirits are good.. she’s so sweet

The bunny doesn't get any credit for her condition IMO...

No supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

from a private breeder.
Incubator or broody hatched?

Daily mealworm MIGHT be too much, they are VERY high in fat. Mixed veggies are more for the owner IMO and have little protein. They should be given at no more than 10% total daily intake... if things get out of balance we can face kidney issues and even fatty liver type issues. Not sure if either of those would cause what you are describing.

If it is a vitamin deficit somehow... those packets are not effective enough.. IMO and you can't up their strength without also upping the electrolytes.

Maybe check this link and see if it gives you any other clues...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

The bunny doesn't get any credit for her condition IMO...

No supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

Incubator or broody hatched?

Daily mealworm MIGHT be too much, they are VERY high in fat. Mixed veggies are more for the owner IMO and have little protein. They should be given at no more than 10% total daily intake... if things get out of balance we can face kidney issues and even fatty liver type issues. Not sure if either of those would cause what you are describing.

If it is a vitamin deficit somehow... those packets are not effective enough.. IMO and you can't up their strength without also upping the electrolytes.

Maybe check this link and see if it gives you any other clues...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php
I think incubator.. veges are definitely less than 10%, but I do through out a handful of mealworms 2-3 times a day. Maybe it is kidney issues.. she does look like she is retaining some around her abdomen. I’ll check out your link. Thank you!

Do you feel enlargement in her lower belly? If so, that could be a sign of ascites or water belly, usually caused by heart or liver failure. It is sometimes seen in hens with reproductive disorders. If she feels spongy, she might just be overweight. How does her crop feel, and does it empty normally overnight?

When you let her out of the sling, is she trying to use her legs? If you try placing a scarf or long towel under her as a sling, can she walk with you? I would let her out of the sling often to move, stretch, and to sleep. Hopefully, it is not Mareks, and I hope that you can find out what is causing this problem.

I just checked her belly again and she is definitely retaining fluidthat’s never good. I’m a vet tech.. I don’t have much chicken experience, but fluid retention is usually very bad in other species. She was laying. Could it be egg yolk peritonitis.. she’s had normal stools, but just now I saw some white stuff in her cloaca.. I checked up there two days ago and 5 days ago and there wasn’t any egg or cracked shell.. tjis is day 7. I did give her a warm soak today to clean her.. it was brief. I noticed the fluid retention after the bath

Back
Top Bottom