My Brahma passed!! Egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KayC2016, Oct 8, 2016.

1. KayC2016

KayC2016 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Remlap, Alabama
    I have been doctoring my Brahma for several days. I think she was egg bound. Her vent was hard as a rock. I applied lubrication and massaged gently and she seemed to feel better. But she continued to mope and lay around and finally tried to gently turn what I thought was an egg that was sideways. And again she seemed to feel better. But this morning I found her by the nesting box passed away. I feel horrible and hope I didn't mis-diagnose and cause more harm. I have sobbed all day as this is a "hobby" and not a business and they are close to my heart. Any advice on what I might have done wrong is appreciated. I even contacted the breeder and she concurred. But I feel horrible!!!

2. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    I personally think it sounds like she was egg-bound.....
    Here is a link that might offer more information.
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss, I love Brahmas.
    http://www.keepingchickensnewsletter.com/site/egg-bound-chicken-symptoms-and-treatment

1 person likes this.
  3. KayC2016

Jul 16, 2016
    Remlap, Alabama
    Thank you so much! I'm going to that link right now! She was so sweet and it truly just broke my heart!!

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I'm so sorry to read that you lost your chicken.

I know it is not easy when you are attached to them, but if it was me I would want to know for sure what the problems was, so that I would be able to help the next chicken I had with those symptoms. The only way is know for sure is to send her off for a necropsy or if that is not an option, do one yourself. Think of it like a biology class where you are hopefully going to benefit from this sad situation by improving your knowledge.

Best wishes

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  5. KayC2016

Jul 16, 2016
    Remlap, Alabama
    Yes, you are right. I am new to chickens and learning so much. I knew I needed to do it but with it being my first, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I know though that I am going to have to do it if it happens again as you are right, I need to know. I can't thank everyone enough for all the wonderful advice and knowledge that you share with us newbies!!!

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. If something like this happens again you might want to try giving fluids and calcium before fiddling with the egg. This article explains that the egg actually rotates right before it's laid.
    [​IMG]
    Picture from above link.

-Kathy

7. KayC2016

Jul 16, 2016
    Remlap, Alabama
    Thank you for the advice! I am so new at this!!! I did wait several days before I did anything....I should have taken her to the vet.....I still am kicking myself for not doing that in the first place. I miss her. My sweet husband buried her and even made a headstone for her (and me). I am trying so hard to take good care of them but lord knows there is so much to learn.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by