My Brahma passed!! Egg bound?

KayC2016

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
Remlap, Alabama
I have been doctoring my Brahma for several days. I think she was egg bound. Her vent was hard as a rock. I applied lubrication and massaged gently and she seemed to feel better. But she continued to mope and lay around and finally tried to gently turn what I thought was an egg that was sideways. And again she seemed to feel better. But this morning I found her by the nesting box passed away. I feel horrible and hope I didn't mis-diagnose and cause more harm. I have sobbed all day as this is a "hobby" and not a business and they are close to my heart. Any advice on what I might have done wrong is appreciated. I even contacted the breeder and she concurred. But I feel horrible!!!

I have been doctoring my Brahma for several days. I think she was egg bound. Her vent was hard as a rock. I applied lubrication and massaged gently and she seemed to feel better. But she continued to mope and lay around and finally tried to gently turn what I thought was an egg that was sideways. And again she seemed to feel better. But this morning I found her by the nesting box passed away. I feel horrible and hope I didn't mis-diagnose and cause more harm. I have sobbed all day as this is a "hobby" and not a business and they are close to my heart. Any advice on what I might have done wrong is appreciated. I even contacted the breeder and she concurred. But I feel horrible!!!
I personally think it sounds like she was egg-bound.....
Here is a link that might offer more information.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss, I love Brahmas.
http://www.keepingchickensnewsletter.com/site/egg-bound-chicken-symptoms-and-treatment

I'm so sorry to read that you lost your chicken.

I know it is not easy when you are attached to them, but if it was me I would want to know for sure what the problems was, so that I would be able to help the next chicken I had with those symptoms. The only way is know for sure is to send her off for a necropsy or if that is not an option, do one yourself. Think of it like a biology class where you are hopefully going to benefit from this sad situation by improving your knowledge.

Best wishes

Barbara

Yes, you are right. I am new to chickens and learning so much. I knew I needed to do it but with it being my first, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I know though that I am going to have to do it if it happens again as you are right, I need to know. I can't thank everyone enough for all the wonderful advice and knowledge that you share with us newbies!!!

Thank you for the advice! I am so new at this!!! I did wait several days before I did anything....I should have taken her to the vet.....I still am kicking myself for not doing that in the first place. I miss her. My sweet husband buried her and even made a headstone for her (and me). I am trying so hard to take good care of them but lord knows there is so much to learn.

Thank you for the advice! I am so new at this!!! I did wait several days before I did anything....I should have taken her to the vet.....I still am kicking myself for not doing that in the first place. I miss her. My sweet husband buried her and even made a headstone for her (and me). I am trying so hard to take good care of them but lord knows there is so much to learn.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom