My brand new mare - and she is pregnant!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Iain Utah, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I am so excited to share with everyone pics of my new mare, Patience. She is a 3yo percheron/qh, bred back to a percheron/qh stallion and due to foal in March. She is 16 hands, 1300lbs and barely halter broke. But she is a gentle giant and super sweet. It has been years since I got a new horse and have never owned a pregnant mare before. So, I'd love to hear stories of others who have had the good fortune to go through this experience. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DanielleinLA

DanielleinLA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    She is gorgeous! In my experience she'll foal during bad weather in the middle of the night...silly horses :)

3. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Thanks!! That is very funny about foaling timing, but that is exactly what I am expecting... 3am in the middle of a snowstorm.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Body type looks exactly like the mare I learned to ride on. Except Patches was a tricolor paint :)
    Same big ole' fuzzy feet though. [​IMG]

All the kids in the neighborhood learned to ride on Patches. There are pictures of 4-5 kids at a time on her back - stacked all the way back to the tail... She was such a mellow moose, until she got tired of you after a couple of hours and then would take you to the pine trees to wipe you off her back.

Good luck with your new addition! She is very pretty.

5. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Shes lovely, I am sure she will produce a lovely foal for you [​IMG]

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Oh she is beautiful. I am sure she will be a joy to have. I wish I could have a horse.

7. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Thank you!! I have only had her for two days and I'm already nervous about the foaling... not sure how I'm going to make it 5 months!

8. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Don't forget to vaccinate her for Pneumabort at 5,7, and 9 mos.
    Also 5 weeks from her due date she should be vaccinated for Flu, EWT, and West Nile.

Good luck. She is a pretty girl.

9. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    My vet is coming out Tuesday to give her rhino and do a rectal ultrasound. I am very excited! We had our first real showdown this morning with her and my senior/alpha arab gelding and she won. Poor boy. Otherwise, she seems to be settling in well. Here is a pic from today of her with my perch/arab boy.
    [​IMG]

10. 10:00 pm Gather sleeping bag; alarm clock and three back copies of favorite Equestrian Magazine. Head for barn.

10:01 pm Return to house for bag of chips and a 32 oz Pepsi.

10:10 pm Back to barn. Flashlight goes out half way there. Figure you can make it by memory. Pat faithful ranch dog’s head as he pants and slobbers alongside.

10:11 pm Remember suddenly you have no ranch dog.

10:11 pm Run screaming to house. Change flashlight batteries. Change underwear. Return to barn.

10:15 pm Establish foal-watch headquarters in empty stall next to broodmare.

10:16 pm Enter broodmare’s stall for the 5,687th inspection of the reproductive parts.

10:16 pm Broodmare flattens ears for the 5,687th time.

10:17 pm Sigh audibly, leave stall and head for house. Dial veterinarian just to make sure he’s home.

10:18 pm Replace receiver on phone base rather than where suggested.

10:19 pm Return to barn and squirm into sleeping bag. Set alarm for one hour and shut off light.

10:20 pm Forty thousand sets of tiny feet become active as entire mouse population in the county begin wind sprints in your barn loft.

10:25 pm Sit up when something with not so tiny feet joins wind sprints in loft.

10:26 pm Flick on light – listen to absolute silence.

10:27 pm Flick off light.

10:28 pm Wind sprints resume. Big foot is winning.

11:18 pm Finally fall asleep.

11:19 pm Alarm goes off.

11:20 pm Peek through knothole at broodmare. Mare pins ears.

11:21 pm Reset alarm and flick out light.

11:23 pm Flick on light. Realize 32 oz Pepsi was a mistake. Head for house to “eliminate” problem.

11:26 pm Resist urge to phone veterinarian.

11:27 pm Trot back to barn. Left boot is sucked off in mudhole. Hobble three steps before getting stopped.

11:28 pm Return to house and change one sock.

11:29 pm Walk to barn.

11:30 pm One last check of broodmare though knothole. Ears pinned.

11:30 pm Set alarm for one hour. Turn out light.

11:40 pm Wake suddenly. Check knothole. Mare is lying down!

11:41 pm Enter broodmare stall carrying Ye Olde Foaling Manual, 3 pounds of clean rags, iodine and a tetanus shot. Mare breaks wind and gets up. Pins ears.

11:42 pm Return to sleeping bag. Flick out light.

11:52 pm Flick on light. Remove flake of hay that has accumulated in bottom of bag. Flick out light.

12:01 am Can’t hear clock. Flick on light. Clock is fine. Remove hay from ear. Flick out light.

12:29 am Fall asleep.

12:31 am Alarm goes off.

12:32 am Eyes feel like somebody put sand in them. Stagger to knothole. Extreme close-up of mare’s rear end. No change in reproductive parts. Can’t see ears. Assume pinned.

12:33 am Back into sleeping bag. Set alarm and flick out light. Left foot cramps. Shove foot against bottom of bag to relieve cramp.

12:38 am Cramp over. Relax foot.

12:39 am Left foot turns into a pretzel. Struggle out of bag and hobble around for 5 minutes.

12:44 am Cramp over. Return to bag. Right foot starts to quiver.

01:10 am Fall asleep.

01:39 am Alarm goes off. Sleep right through it.

6:30 am Wake up. Glance at clock. Attempt to leap from bag. Become part of huge polyester/fiberfill wad in hay. Crawl to knothole. Peer into broodmare stall. See TWO sets of pinned ears

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by