My brave cockerel charged a fox!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GoChick, Jan 4, 2013.

1. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    I have to brag about my brave guy...

He is 6 months old, his father is my Dark Brahma rooster (huge) and his mother is one of my Buff Orps. He is pretty big - 11lb and very sweet towards humans, but a little too rough on the hens, to the point that I had decided to take him to frezer camp.

Two days ago, I let the flock out close to the woods, while doing some chores nearby. All of a sudden, I hear my cockerel growling and running towards the woods, his hackle feathers up, looking like a deranged wild thing. I was puzzled - why was he doing that - until I see this fox running for his life!!! Awesome guy! He just won a reprieve - I just hope he stops being so rough with some of the hens.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get him some bigger girls. That boys genes need to be perpetuated.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    While I hope it never comes to pass that my rooster has to protect his hens against a predator, if I ever do I hope he performs as admirably as yours!

4. Greg in Carpinteria

Greg in Carpinteria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    It's great when a brave roo like yours protects the girls! I'm glad he's still with you. They are truly fearless, and quite intimidating with their hackles up.

I've had a few brave ones that did the same with hawks, I never had any hawk trouble on their watch. Unfortunately a couple have tried the same tactic with a bobcat, the cat seemed to regard it the same way I do pizza delivery, I'm sure they saved a hen or two in the process, and I'm grateful for that.

5. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    He's still young; he needs to be with older hens who will teach him some manners, and then he'll be fine with your flock for years to come.

6. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    The problem is that he is terrorizing some of the smaller hens, I have a Faverolles that I had to separate because she would run away from him, and he'd chase her all over the place. His father, the Dark Brahma, is teaching him some manners. We also have lots of hawks ( no bobcats yet), and it is very cool to see the cockerel and his father making the alarm call and standing watch while the hens run for cover. It's almost as if they're learning to work together!

We used to call him Honey Bunny when he was a chick, but he grew so much we started calling him Hungry Jack. I'm thinking I now need to change his name to Braveheart!

Yeah... I'm keeping him for the time being...

7. CESpeed

CESpeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Hot Springs, AR
    I think he eraned his keep. [​IMG]

8. Tazman99

Tazman99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    I would personally give him another chance. Get him some bigger hens, he earned it.

9. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Can we see pics of him?!?!!? The roosters I have would of just poop there pants and run away if a fox was near by..

10. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Sorry double post.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by