1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my breed and combo option

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BLT79, Mar 7, 2013.

1. BLT79

BLT79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    Local store has two breeds I am considering. The store is getting them from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They have Red and Black Star pullets, and "Americauna/Arucauna" pullets. Should I do 6 Red? 6 Black? Or what combo? I need quiet hens that will tolerate being confined as well and give us nice eggs. I know all of these chickens produce good eggs, but have seen mixed reviews about their broodiness and noise levels! Also considering Black Austrolorps from a breeder not too far from me! all feedback is welcomed as these are our first chickens and don't want to make any mistakes or have my family or neighbors be upset with my decisions! haha! no regrets! Thanks

2. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    I would go with the black australorps! They are supposed to be great layers, very docile and friendly... We have one in our "clock".

3. gcbsmommy

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    I mean FLOCK ;)

4. My Hens and Roo

My Hens and Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Cornelius Oregon
    My Coop
    Black Australorp is a good pick. But what came to mind right off from the description of your needs, go Orpington if they are available. Sweetest things on earth! They are extremely docile, good layers, quiet and very snuggly!
    Your local farm store can most likely order chicks for you.

5. BLT79

BLT79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    Thanks! My local TSC does offer ordering but only in quantities of 25. This other store, Carr Hardware, is getting in those specific breeds. Since they are from a hatchery I am also aware that most likely the "Americauna" is more so Austrolorps also has Americaunas. I am just so confused! thanks to all! We do have children as well!

6. gcbsmommy

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Buff orpingtons, I agree, would also be a great choice! Super friendly AND they are cold-tolerant which would come in handy for you! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by