My breeds of interest, who has them, what do you know about them.

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
I'm interested in the following breeds: Runts/Giant Homers, Parlor Rollers, Splash Russian Tumblers (which I fist saw mislabeled as saints), Hana/ Pygmy Pouters. I used to keep some mixed up rollers and ferals, and I had a low quality fantail hen in there at one point but, I want to get back in with pairs of the breeds that I admire most. I'm still not wanting top quality birds just unique birds for my vueing pleasure. I'm looking for prices on ~2 yr old pairs that don't quite make the show cut, and parlor rollers that don't roll far enough (~15-20ft).

Last edited:
Runts are awesome, but they had pretty runny/abundant poop at the pigeon shows I've seen them at compared to other breeds. They were even worse poop wise than the modenas, which I just love. Very old breed, possibly the oldest. Just a note. XD They are a fairly popular pet breed as they are too large to fly well if at all, and tame down well. Are used for meat. Always a lot of these guys at the shows. Very easy to locate.

Giant Homers: Another utility breed. Also numerous at the shows. Tame down well, flying ability varies between lines, very personable and attractive in my opinion. I think quite a few BYCers have these guys. Fairly easy to locate.

Parlor Rollers: One of my favorite breeds! Would love a few some day. After reaching a certain age, they will no longer fly, but will roll along the ground. Used for rolling competitions, but you will also see them at shows. Varied in look since they are a performance breed. Young can be harder to raise as some parents will accidentally roll young out of the nest or nest on the ground. Some times fosters are used for this reason. Harder to locate these guys. Can occasionally find these locally, but there is a parlor roller club (national) you can get in touch with, and also one breeder who reliably carries these. I'll have to look them up. It may be harder to find rollers for cheaper than average, as many are quite passionate about their performing abilities and may only cull birds that do not perform well. Not sure, but I know I couldn't find anyone willing to sell me one as a pet rather than a performing bird, which I understand given the history of the breed. If you like splashes, check out almonds.
droolin.gif

Hana Pouters: I don't see these around too much. May be hard to locate, probably will have to ship on these.

Pigmy Pouters: I've seen these around often enough. A very popular pet breed, due to their curious and tame nature. They are not the most skilled at flight, but are beautiful to watch when they do. Many clubs around to contact for pigmies, and I'm sure some people have them on BYC. Some use fosters in cold weather, as their slight build can mean poor incubation in cold weather. Their smaller size also means they do better housed separately from larger birds.

Ok I better clarify I know what each breed is and what they do. On the parlors I would like some birds that roll 15-20 feet vs 50, 100,200 feet and the high prices that come with those lines. I know I want a giant pair, I know more about Runts and there are a FEW around here, how do they compare with the giant homers? There are quite a few kings locally but I'm not a big fan of them. Also from my understanding hana's are more or less a clean legged pygmy pouter, a freind of mine had 6 pairs of hana and hana/pygmy cross a couple years ago but he sold them in his fall cleanout. As far as the splash saints I used to see quite a few a local swaps and auctions but havn't seen them for 7 years. I also used to have a kit of these little "bald head rollers" unknown breed but all looked identical, and I would possibly be interested in getting more of them. I will try to describe them next time I get on.

Haha, weird, we have tons of runts here. They have their own state club too. Hmm, being a utility breed, you might try some 4H avenues. Our 4H pigeon presence is pretty weak locally though...not sure how they fair outside this state. Would you like people to compare runts and giant homers on a meat basis, temperament wise, or what things are you specifically looking at for comparison? The more specific the question, the more answers people generally have, I think.

Hanas have hock feathering and muffs, but there are definitely clean legged pouter and cropper breeds out there. I have a very hard time telling the hana pouters from the Bavarian pouters.

There is at least one person on BYC with saints...but I haven't seen *any* locally. They seem to be fairly hard to find.

There is a heavy baldhead show roller, but they do not fly well. My guess would be Birmingham rollers that have the baldhead pattern. Some people have bred lines from Birmingham that consistently express this trait. You can find them as "baldhead performing rollers", "old bandlhead rollers", etc. As far as what line though...whew, no idea there.

I do like the look of that bird but I'm not much of a fan of all white pigeons, I'm not sure why, lol. My rollers were about 7-8" tall with a medium length, horn color beak. They didn't have much of a lore but it was pink in color (the softer tissue at the top of the beak) and were black with a white head, wing tips, and every thing from the crop down on the underside (incuding the inside of their wings). I had 5 that were all uniform in color that I collected from 2 or 3 different auctions/swaps. My guess is that they were bred out of birminghams but I'm not sure. As far as the AGH and Runts I want to look at how hard they are to keep, hardiness, and their price compared to their quality/ how close they are to the standard. Like I said be for I want my bird for me not for competing or showing so as long as they mostly look and act like the breed they are, are healthy, and fairly young they will pass my approval. When I had pigeon before I could buy them all day long and rarely spent $5 a bird, I'd be willing to pay more for these varieties but still probably no more than $25 a bird and deffinatly no more than $35. I can still buy ferals for 1-2$ ea. and for that price they are fun to have around, if all else fails I'll probably go back to keeping them. I may have gotten mixed up on pygmy vs hana pouters but I learned about the pygmys first and liked their more exagerated features compared to the larger pouter breeds.

Last edited:
I was just looking at pics and it looks like the pygmy pouters have feather feet with no muffs, the hanas have both. They look similar in size with a slight difference in stance and crop size. For referance on my "bald headed rollers" look at the galetini rollers on feathersite's pigeon page, mine looked very similar to the "black saddle" but with more black. For color pattern refferance only on them the very last picture on the feather site capuchine page is an exact match. Also an up date on my breeds on interest, what I saw advertized at swaps as Saint's (that painted my mental picture) were actually almond, dun, and black splash Russian Tumblers.
droolin.gif
Pics of them also on feathersite, lol. Now how would those look crossed with fantail
wink.png

Last edited:
I just got a few giant homers, they are so cool and big! They dwarf my other breeds. I also have Capuchines, they are like saints without the muffs. Look on slobberknockerslofts.com they have a classified section and an auction section. Prices aren't to bad. Shipping is what gets ya but with the price if gas it's probably less to ship.

hana pouters are muffed pouters no clean legged ones pigmys and brunners are smallest of the pouters pigmys are groused legged and pied marked whites being the only solid colored pigmy . brunners are clean legged there are some gansel and pied marked birds but mostly self colored they are the smallest of the pouters in stillwater ok. there is a breeder of hanas

Back
Top Bottom