My brilliant roo outsmarted himself

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hillfarm, Sep 29, 2010.

1. hillfarm

hillfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Central Texas
    I have four foot chain link on a part of our yard. Eight foot else where. My roo and two girls have always stayed inside the yard while free ranging. [​IMG] Yesterday, my roo figured out he could make it over the low section of fence. [​IMG] [​IMG] I go outside and there he is at the front porch torching my two kittens. Running them off the porch. So I reach down pick him up and carry him back to the coop and the back yard. He's cool with it. Enjoying the ride and not fussing at all, till I lean down and show the girls their man in my arms. [​IMG] He started kicking and squirming. I could barely hold back the giggles. [​IMG] The girls were fussing and running around my feet. He was furious.
    I kept them in the coop today, hoping he wouldnt try it again while I was at work.

I'm wondering.... we are moving so I hate to have to cover this bit of fence, besides he can get out elsewhere if he wants to bad enuf, should I keep him in the coop for a couple of days, like a punishment, or will he just go straight over the first chance he gets?

I think he's really smart, but then again, sometimes he can be so thick. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Not sure what to tell you, but the girls seemed like they were happy to have him home. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Now that he's found the route to true freedom, he will escape again.

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Clip his flight feathers on one wing. This makes it hard for chickens to fly.

5. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    He will go straight for the fence.

Can you put something temporary up on the fence, like plastic netting? You could take it down easily if you need to show the house or when you move. I use plastic netting around my new fruit trees until they get established, it is really easy to put up and take down. And really cheap. I have rigged things up with just plastic netting, bamboo cuttings from a neighbor's yard, and wire ties.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:But some will still climb the fence. Mine will fly up a foot or so (since they are clipped they can't fly well) and use their feet to climb up to the top of the fence. [​IMG]

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:But some will still climb the fence. Mine will fly up a foot or so (since they are clipped they can't fly well) and use their feet to climb up to the top of the fence. [​IMG]

Lol you have to get that on tape. It sounds too funny.

8. hillfarm

Aug 22, 2010
    Central Texas
    I love the plastic netting idea. Gonna put that up tonite. Thanks.

I have had him in the pen for the last two days. He's not happy. I hope this works. I'd hate to lose him, he's such a good roo. I'm gonna try putting lots of snack distractions out for him too.

9. hillfarm

Aug 22, 2010
    Central Texas
    Drum roll please....... MY ROO HAS STAYED IN THE YARD! [​IMG]:ya:ya:ya

I really thought he was a gonner. [​IMG] But he has acted like he totally forgot about the fence all weekend and took good care of his girls.

10. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Good for him... and you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by