My Brinsea Mini quite on Day 14--- Egg surface temps down to 80F this morning --opinions??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantyshanty, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I had 4 Gold Laced Bantam Polish ($$ eggs!) and 3 Guineas on Days 14 & 21 of development respectively.
    I had a Brinsea Mini Advance, that had had a computer board that died last year. I just replaced the computer board two weeks ago (Brinsea asks $79 for replacement boards, btw).

They were doing great last night. Candled everyone. Squirmy & lovely. Today the whole unit was dead!! [​IMG] The eggs read 80F on the surface. I stuck them into a preheated Brinsea Mini Ego (to be my hatcher for one egg tomorrow), and an hour later they're back to 100 f egg surface (normal reading).

Who thinks they may live?

A day's delay for hatching?

Abnormalities in hatching or in yolk absorption?

Addictive tendencies later in life? (I mean the chicks, not me [​IMG])

Any support, please! These Polish eggs were pretty long awaited!

[​IMG]

PS, I kicked the dome top of the non-functional Brinsea unit lightly along the carpeted floor, plugged it back in, and it's reading 99.5F now [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    my backup hatcher, in case my pockmarked old Hovabator box fails me.

PPS thought of correcting my spelling errors, but in retrospect, they're funny...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    This happened to me. I got about 9 brahma hatching eggs for free put them in the brinsea 20 eco and the next morning the heater was dead. I called the company and they told me to send it back they would fix it and return it. When they returned it it worked fine and they included a digital thermometer. This is must in case it happens again.

3. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Well, everyone hatched on time, all had spraddled legs but they're just fine now.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Wow, every single one had spraddle legs?

Did you call Brinsea and tell them that the board died after two weeks? I'm really curious about what they said.

I had my board die, they repaired it back in late December, and i've had three successful hatches since then. Hatch #4 is about 4 days in.

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Spraddled legs wow, what kindly flooring does it have, must be something really slick, that the chicks couldnt get there footing to build strength in there little legs, poor little guys...

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

why am i not surprised?.. i used to love Brinseas until the same sort of thing happened to us.. repeatedly!
    bad turners.. bators dieing.. frayed wires on products.. ugh
    I would rather go to the dentist and have every tooth pulled than deal with their lack of customer service too...

for the spraddle legs.. i use the shelf liner from walmart.. makes a big difference
    [​IMG]

7. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I had one chick with spraddle legs while using this bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by