my broiler chick :) pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bluefeather2697, Nov 12, 2011.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    i hate it when people raise chickens just to kill them in the end. im sorry, no offense! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    so i decided to keep a broiler chick to show them that broilers are good pets too! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    so may i ask the gender of this lovely broiler chick, he/she is about 5 weeks of age, and 3x bigger than my 5 week layer chicks! [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's a top view shot [​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANKS 4 YOUR GUESSES! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    So far, looks like a pullet, but 5 weeks is really young. Broilers do make excellent pets, they're very calm and docile, but the difficulty is keeping them alive. Here's a great thread someone wrote on keeping their broilers going; it was written in 2009, but you might find some management tips that will help you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=148587

Your bird is beautiful!

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    No offense taken! [​IMG] I can understand why you'd like to keep one of them. They're so sweet and docile and I've been tempted many times to keep a few of mine around, too.

You have a pullet - at 5 weeks it's quite evident which are roosters.

Keep us posted on how your chick does!

Stacie [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Understand that your bird is genetically programmed to literally eat itself to death. By limiting/monitoring feed intake and providing opportunity for exercise you can extend the lifespan somewhat. Depending upon the genetic make up most broiler type birds die relatively early of heart attacks, ascites, or because of leg/skeletal problems. I'm guessing that you have a pullet which increases the chances of a somewhat longer life.

No offense taken to your statements, but since I enjoy eating meat - whenever possible I want to know that the animal I am consuming was treated in a humane fashion while growing. No better way for me to do so than to raise it myself.

5. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:thank you very much for your concern, i appreciated it!

Quote:yeah, she comes to me when i call her! [​IMG] [​IMG] thats really sweet! thanks for saying pullet [​IMG]

Quote:aww, thats sad to say, but i'll try my best to keep her a live.
    and its okay, just be kind to your backyard broilers! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Cornish cross seems to alway have the best nature, there sweet and love the company of people. I had two Hughy and Louis, I so wanted to keep them as pets but unfortunately they passed at about 5/6 months old, they were huge and so cuddlely when I went and sat out in the pen those two would always come and sit with me. So I understand why you would want to keep them as pets, for me though I won't do it again it hurt so bad when they passed away. Wishing you the best of luck with your baby ! Sandy.[​IMG]

7. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks Sandy! I hope my cornish chickens will last! thanks for your friendly comment! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by