1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My brooder got WAY too small. :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MoonGoddess, Apr 18, 2007.

1. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Ok, well my aquarium got WAY too small for my 11 chicks.... and it's still too cold here to put my babies outside. So,I'm using a large dog crate to keep them in.

Is this bad?

It's one of those that are mostly closed in with plastic (kind of like a very large cat carrier) with just a wire mesh gate in the front and three wire mesh windows.

I still have the brooder lamp beaming in through the wire gate.
    Is this enough you think?

My house is pretty warm. [​IMG]

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I don't see any reason you shouldn't use it. I suppose you could divide the 11 up into both the crate and aquarium if you find you still need more room.

3. MoonGoddess

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Yeah, I may have to if the weather stays so bad here. I can't believe it's April. It was SNOWING three days ago! [​IMG]

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I have found that chicks require about 1 square foot to be happy (from 2 weeks - 6 weeks of age). Anything less than that and mine start picking at each other. How big is your dog cage? I would still have a draft guard around the base of the cage...cardboard works great.

Andy

5. MoonGoddess

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Well, I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but it's made for very large dogs of 75lbs and over. I use it for my pig when we have had to take him to the vet, if that gives you an idea.

Thanks for the cardboard tip, I'll totally use that. [​IMG]

Do you think I need to up the wattage on my bulb? It's currently a 100 watt.
    The chicks are in my upstairs bedroom. It's usually so warm up there blankets are tossed to the floor.

6. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    100 watt is probably OK. Let the chicks tell you if they are comfortable. As long as they are not piling on top of each other they are fine. They do like to lay next to each other, so don't confuse that with piling.

Andy

BTW...eliminating drafts is the key. They can stand a little cooler temp if there are no drafts, especially since they have been in an aquarium (no drafts at all).

7. MoonGoddess

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Thanks Andy. [​IMG]

8. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    It's amazing to me how quickly they grow! In less than a week I've gone from one brooder, splitting them up into two brooders, and now about to move them all again into two bigger brooders! [​IMG]
    But they are so darn cute....[​IMG]

9. MoonGoddess

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    I wish I had been warned...LOL. Everytime I look at them they are bigger, I swear.
    I'm laughing to myself now thinking...oh yeah, this 30 gallon aquarium will be FINE until they are fully feathered out. [​IMG]:lau

10. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Yeah, I know the feeling. I had my 11 in a 20 gallon long Tank. I was hoping it would last, boy was I wrong!!! Arounf week 2 or 3, it was more than time for something bigger. Even now, nearing week 6, the ~90 gallonish box is also getting smaller and smaller. Need to get onto finishing that coop asap.

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by