1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My broodies chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alex, May 19, 2008.

1. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Will i have to do anything for the chicks besides gove them food and water..? Or in other workds will the mother hen take care of the chicks herself fine, or do i need to help out in some way.///?
    THanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just make sure there is food and water the chicks can reach and mom will do the rest.

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I just had my first hatch with a broody. They hatched the 16th. They have water and food.

The hen is doing all the work and it is much fun to watch. She points out food to them and their instinct takes over. I saw one chick try to get a fly today. I've seen her pick up a crumble and kind of chew it or nibble it and then drop the crumb. It's like she is making the piece of food smaller for the chicks.

4. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Thats very interesting dacjohns, i cant wate till my silkie starts to care for her chicks that are coming soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by