My Broodies Christmas present! Woot!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kewlhanded, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Kewlhanded

Kewlhanded Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Well my broody gave me my favorite present this year, my first baby chick... She has five other eggs under her. I've read through some of the past posts with broodies and new chicks and a lot say mama with take care of most everything. I've got them in a large dog kennel in my garage. Watering bowl with polished stones in it for safe drinking. I've just left Mama (Lavender) regular layer crumbs and have been free range'n her for 2x 15 min free range sessions but now Lavender just runs back into garage to be with Baby J. I've read to leave mash for the chicks? Any broody experts want to leave me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. BTW the roo is a Americuna/Silkie and the hen's are SLW/Silkie and bantam Silkie/EE so should be interesting mixes. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!![​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Congrats on your little Christmas present!

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:i want to see pics of the parents... and of course the chickies when they all get out... sound super cute

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If she has five other eggs under her, she should be on the nest, not free ranging. Take away the layer pellets and put out chick starter for mom and chicks. She won't need to leave the coop at all till everybody is hatched and has several days to start eating and drinking. The babies will stay with her constantly.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

That's wonderful! Merry Christmas!!!

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

congratulation, i also got 3 chicks from 2 broody hens for my Christmas gift i think, it's good to be alive.

share the pics with us. [​IMG]

momma hen will take care everthing, well, except big predator like dog or hawk, momma hen can't afford to protect all babies at same time, if one baby get caught by predator, she usually will just leave him and bring other babies ASAP away from the first taken baby.

make sure no dog or cat nearby. i have to take my chicks and live them under brooder since my dog has bad behavior of killing my chicks. poor mom are my 2 hens, it's cruel to take baby from them after 3 weeks sitting on eggs to hatch them but the life of the chick is more important.

8. Kewlhanded

Jun 4, 2009
    Thanks for the info... this site is great! I'm try'n to get some pictures downloaded but keep get'n the dreaded blue screen error, uuugghhh, stupid windows vista, buy a top of line computer and it still runs like crap, I've never been able to properly download pictures, it's like a 50-50 shot to blue screen! If I can get this to work I will post pics. The one chick looks super cute, blue/black/grey/white coloring, can't wait for one of the lil bantam eggs to hatch.

Any Vista experts know how to fix the picture errors? I'm in process of looking for a down load fix. Bill Gates you owe me buddy!

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

blue screen? download? what is the problem? maybe i can help. [​IMG]

if you said blue screen, it's been a *legend* for computer expert, that's called with *blue screen of dead* by many expert. that occur when Windows is having a real bad damages to its system file so the operating system can't be loaded. the only way (that's for me) to fix it is by formating your computer and re install the OS.

well, i suggest you to use linux AKA GNU Linux, it's free of charge, open source and stable, and you will *miss* virus and other malware to invade a linux computer, it's far safer than W****** or M** or any other OS. so no $ being thrown away for 010101010 code. [​IMG]

10. Kewlhanded

Jun 4, 2009
    [​IMG]

Well hopefully that works. Mama Broody and 1st chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by