my broody ate a pipped egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shadowpaints, Jun 6, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i have a black australorp (SP??) polish hen that is broody, she had 3 eggs under her that were pipped, and now there are only 2! ACCKK! i looked every where for the pipped egg, and cant find it! what should i do?? should i put the eggs in the bator?

2. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    It seems strange she would eat it and leave no trace at all. Did you check in her feathers? I once thought an egg was lost and it was stuck to her feathers under her wing. I got her out and didn't even notice it until I gave her a good frisking.

3. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i did look all over her, but i didnt see, ill look again

4. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    no egg, nothing no chick... no peices of shell.. even checked my other hens to see if they stole it, nothin.. i think ill put the eggs in the bator.. just to be safe

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I hate to be the one to say it, but... could it be rats...? I've never had them take eggs, but I just recently lost chicks from under a hen that way...

6. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    Quote:if it is i have never seen them... i know there are some mice but never seen a rat

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I had a broody brahma that would eat the chicks as they hatched so it's not impossible. However there were traces of blood and shell fragments left behind so if it has completely vanished without a trace then I might look for another cause. Probably wise to take the remaining eggs away until you find out though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by