my broody attacked one of my eggs on day 19

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenbottom, Sep 2, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    she saw a peep hole in the egg and started pecking and now the hole is about an inch by an inch and we can see the little guy in there and if the egg were to lay on its side the blood would pour out. he is moving and hes on day 19. this is the only egg that she has and i dont want this baby to die. any other info needed just ask and ill tell you and also the this is a first time hatch for her never been a mother before. thanks in advance

2. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    My hen did this but it turnedcout she was just helping him out by plucking some shell away. Im not sure if she is trying to kill it. Maybe just giving a motherly hand. If she is very aggresive to it and it is bleeding I would pull it out. But if you have an incubator get it ready. You dont want him to die. Goodluck.

3. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:sorry i forgot to put that in my post i dont have an incubator. i dont know if she was trying to kill it but right now i have it in my shirt i read a post about a woman on here doing this and her eggs are hatching. and even if i put it back in i couldnt lay it on its side the bit of blood that it hasnt soaked up will come out if not the baby i know its on day 19 but the yolk has not soaked up into the stomach

4. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I would say that it is a good thing you took it out. Give it time, he could take up to anither 48 hours to fully hatch. It should give him time to suck up the yolk. I pray that he makes it for you. Just keep him warm. Goodluck.

5. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    thank you i put him under a heat lamp with a damp cloth and hes moving a whole lot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by