My broody bantam stepped off her egg today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by denise91, Nov 20, 2013.

1. denise91

denise91 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    My bantam hen, Penelope, has always been absolutely insistent on having babies. I've had her for over a year and she's gone broody more times than I can count. But she rarely ever lays her own eggs. She always steals my bigger hens' eggs. Well my rooster is a bantam and he's never been able to er...reach the bigger girls so we've never had fertilized eggs.

About a month ago, little miss Penny went broody again. With her own egg this time. I let her keep it because she loved it so much. Today, I checked her nest box and she wasn't in it. The egg was stone cold so I just removed it. I figured, and I really hope I'm right, that since the egg had gotten so cold there would be no hope if it was fertilized. Well, I cracked it to see if my rooster was at least succeeding with his little wife and there was an almost full grown chick inside. I figure it only would've had a couple more days left.

I am so disappointed. Why would a hen give up on an egg this close to hatching? I guess the silver lining is that now I know my little rooster isn't as useless in the breeding department as I thought he might be.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    They do leave the nest a few times a day to eat, drink, and go to the bathroom. I have noticed about 3 days prior to hatch my faithful broody spends more time than normal off the nest and lets the eggs cool down completely each time she gets off. Then for the next two days (until hatch) she refuses to get off opting to use the bathroom in the nest and dragging the egg with her out of the way. I am sorry for your loss. Next time trust the broody. There must be some reason they let them cool down, I don't know the exact reason. I can tell the exact hatch date every time with my broody based on this cool down day.

3. denise91

denise91 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Oh no :( she had been off of it for most of the day and she's never had a fertilized egg before so I just figured she was done playing with it. I calculated the time she spent on the egg and it had been over 31 days so perhaps the chick had been dead for a while anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by