My broody behaving badly?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs Clutterbuck, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mrs Clutterbuck

Mrs Clutterbuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi my eggs arrived yesterday, I had been concerned with my broodys behaviour so I set my eggs last night when she was sleepy. It seemed so far so good but I noticed she wasn't sitting on all the eggs. She has kind of standing over them and sometimes sits on them. Have I done something wrong.
    Here is a picture of her at the moment.
    Please help before it's too late...or is already. Some of the eggs feel cool, some luke warm should I cover her pen for more darkness- I'm new so please help.
    [​IMG]

2. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    There may be too many eggs for her to cover so she doesn't know what to do with so many eggs.

3. Mrs Clutterbuck

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Ok, so I'll try and take a few out- I'll start with the loose aircell eggs and try make a home made incubator[​IMG]

4. 12chickens

12chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Minnesota
    Maybe she is not ready to set. Does she get all puffy when you approach her on the nest and squawk or growl at you when you get to close. Chickens choose when they want to set otherwise it leads to frustration and heartbreak. 6 of those eggs looks like the most she can safely set on with out breaking or falling out of the nest. Good luck :)

5. Mrs Clutterbuck

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    She definately was broody, she pecked me anytime I went near her nest, puffed up and swquaaaked. She does the broody poop twice a day, doesn't eat or drink much and stopped laying. I posted in an earlier thread that I noticed she had scaley leg mites so I treated them with vicks and olive oil a couple of times before the eggs arrived. Maybe I broke her broodiness [​IMG] She certainly hasn't puffed up today as normal. I just removed some eggs and and adjusted her nest....lets see how that goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by