My broody Belle..Can she do that?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cthrash1, Oct 24, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Belle just laid another egg this morning before getting off her nest to do her morning thing. That now makes 2 of her own eggs and 3 I put in. I didn't know a broody could lay while they're sitting. Unless someone else went in while she was out but I didn't see anyone in there. They're gonna be some ugly chickens, BRxPartridge Silkie, but they'll be pretty chickies. [​IMG]

Have a great day!!! Cindy

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    She probably has someone sharing with her I would think. I haven't heard of a hen laying while they were brooding.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Thank you Michelle OOPS I mean shelley... [​IMG] J/K had to throw that in... [​IMG] Seriously, how could I forget to just ask you...DUH!!! Maybe it is my new layer, whoever that may be being that all my LF layers except one and the 2 Am.s are brown eggers doesn't help much, although I know it isn't the BR because she lays faithfully almost every day and hers are larger...Except yesterday, she was really mad at me for putting a hen saver saddle on her so she didn't lay. It could be my giant white Cochin, Raoul has been breeding her a lot lately and after seeing Meri's eggs I see they can be many shades of brown.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah that little black dutch that you're gonna get off me is a nest sharer, but her eggs are white, and pretty small. She was trying to lay with my OEG that is brooding. The OEG's eggs are at least twice as big as the dutch's!! So no mix up there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by