My broody buff is going to be a mommy!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KarenP, Mar 28, 2012.

1. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    My Buff Orp. has gone broody, so i decided to let her become a mom. This is my first time,so any advice would be really appreciated. I would also appreciate stories of unexpected obstacles that have occured with your broody hens.

Thanks

Karen

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Does she have a secure nesting spot? Put some eggs under her and let her do her thing. If she's in a separate coop, make sure she has food and water available. Not right where she can sit and eat and drink. Broodies do get up once a day or so to eat, drink and eliminate waste. You may not see her do it, because they tend to like to be secretive. I would also suggest to just leave her alone as much as possible. After all, chickens have been hatching eggs for thousands of years without human intervention. They come preset with exactly the right temperature, humidity and egg turner. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the next few weeks while she does the work for you!

3. KarenP

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Thanks for your advice. I can't wait to experience this, she is such a sweet hen and will be a great mom!! I hae 2 coops, should i move her and her eggs now, so she can be alone? Will this make her too lonely??

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How long has she been on the eggs? She might move OK, she might not. Last fall I moved my BO (at night) and it was a disaster. When I checked in the morning, she was off the nest and eggs were scattered all over. She had been setting for a week. Can you move the other chickens instead? She will not be lonely. They prefer to be alone when setting. At least mine do. If you do decide to move her, do it at night and as smoothly as possible.

5. KarenP

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    The other coop is too small for all of the others. Now i am nervous. She is in the nesting box favored by all of my hens, but they are not bothering her. I don't know what i am going to do.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If it were me, I'd take a chance on moving her. Or, if you can - maybe block off the nesting box. The problem I've had with other hens getting into the box was the broody's eggs being broken with other getting in there and breaking eggs. I don't think they did it on purpose, it was just that the other eggs were in the way. It all depends on the chicken - when I moved my banty cochin she did just fine.

7. KarenP

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I moved her today and you might think i was trying to murder her, she went crazy!!! I moved her back to her original spot and she is happy again, so it's up to her to do her thing. I will keep my fingers cross and hope everything goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by