My broody girl...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kalik, Jun 20, 2011.

1. kalik

kalik New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi all,

I have the utter pleasure of having 4 fine feathered friends. One of my girls (a speckledy) has gone broody. She's decided to go broody in the nesting box of the coop, resulting in the rest of my girls being ousted and stopping laying. I've set up a separated nesting box and pen with her own food and water, that is within the main pen (if that makes sense!). Should I move her into the new nesting box at night?

I've ordered 6 fertile eggs for her to sit on, which should be here tomorrow with luck, as it would be so lovely to just let her go with her mothering instincts. This is my only option as we don't have a rooster!

Does anyone have any advice/tips please? Would it be best to completely separate her to another part of the garden so the other hens don't disturb her?

i could ask questions forever![​IMG]

Thanks so much xxx

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

My only concern with her being caged in the run (instead of in a secure coop) is predators. If you've addressed that issue, she should do just fine in her new housing.

I've found it's best to move them at night, likewise give them eggs at night; but not at the same time. If she was mine, I would move her one night, giving her golfballs or fake eggs to sit on, then once she's settled in, give her your purchased eggs after a day or two; again swapping the golfballs out for the eggs at night. That way if she decides to protesst the move or break her broodiness, she isn't smashing expensive eggs in the process.

The presence of the other hens shouldn't disturb her. Actually allowing her to continue to be part of the flock, where they can see and hear her and her, them should make it easier to intergrate her and her chicks back into the flock after hatch.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. kalik

kalik New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi, thanks so much for that. Yes, the predators issue has been addressed but I am concerned about the flock issue you've raised. I have her nesting box all ready for her which is now separated. The issue within their main run (which is huge!) was that my other girls were jumping on top of the smaller secure run with mummy-to-be in in, which she didn't like at all!

Ahhh what to do?

Golf balls are ready in her nesting box - fingers crossed she settles tonight!

Amy x

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Because my broodies have been in the coop, in a couple of large dog kennels, I too had a problem with the other chickens jumping on top of the crates. At first it bothered the broodies, but after a few days the broodies got used to the others doing that and ignored it. If you can cover her run or somehow block it off to prevent them from jumping on it it would undoubtably help; but otherwise she'll probably get used to it in time.

5. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I have a broody hen. Was going to have her hatch out some eggs but chickened out because the eggs were spendy being pure bred & from show stock that did very well at the shows. Anyway I had a friend of mine hatch them, only half made it 4. Brought the day old chicks home & put them with my broody hen. She took them as her own nicely. I did forget about the nest boxes having a lip to them to keep the shavings in the nest but forgot about that chicks can't step up a high lip. Just about lost them, one was so cold & limp I thought she was gone but she bounced back once under heat for an hr. We inclosed the roost area since the other hens were using the outside roost at night. No nest box to step up into. Today we moved the hen & 4 chicks down to the floor of the coop. They are about 3wks old tomorrow, oops 2wks old. Loosing track already lol.

Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by