My broody has gone broody again!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BarkerChickens, Jan 10, 2010.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    But, the brooder coop is too cold to let her hatch in their this time of year. We can put a heat lamp in there, but I am still not 100% comfortable with it. She is gonna be a frequent brooder I think. She went broody for the first time in November. We gave her eggs and then attempted to move her to the brooder coop, but that is apparently a good way to break her. [​IMG] Our main coop and run is not fully covered, whereas the brooder coop/run is fort knox. The risk is ravens. We are lucky to not have to worry about many other predators. I don't think that I can afford to get a cover over the run. [​IMG] We currently run sisal rope (think...like string) along the top so nothing can swoop down. I wonder if we add in more row of that if it will suffice. It is currently about every 12 ". We could change it to every 6". Would this work, maybe?

Why can't she wait another 2 mos. I don't like to keep breaking her.

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

keep her for about 1 week in the brooder coop, make sure you put fake eggs in the nest box inside brooder coop so you won't *loss* if she hesitate to sit or to not. the existing of fake eggs will *influence* her to go broody and when she sit about 2-3 days, change the fake with the real eggs. done. [​IMG] good luck

3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Thanks! DH and I hope it works this time!! She just prefers the nest that is 4 ft off the ground! That just won't cut it with chicks. [​IMG]

4. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    Why not let her try to hatch some real eggs? I doubt you get as cold as we do here - My broody just hatched a couple duck eggs last week she sat on in an unheated coop for the first 27 days with outside temps as low as 33 below - inside temps were around 0. I just let her sit to she if she could do it and sure enough - she hatched the two duck eggs I put under her. I moved her the last day and she hatched them inside my heated shop where her and her ducklings are now and will be for a while.

5. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Yea, we are DEFINITELY no where near as cold as you are! Especially the past week! The lowest our lows get is high teens to low 20s. The big coop has a heat lamp with a thermocube that turns the lap on at 35 degrees and turns off at 45 degrees. The brooder coop is small and it is usually the same temp inside as outside. We think we'll let her hatch in the big coop since it is warmer. We aren't sure how protective she'll be since this will be her first hatch, but hopefully she protects the chicks from the others well.

6. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

you may want to live here, it's more than 30deg Celcius here inside and worse (higher) outside, especially at noon. [​IMG]

let's exchange our house. [​IMG]

7. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] Plus, I am sure it is humid there too. You may not like our summers though! We can get up to 110 or higher in the summer (~43-44 degrees Celsius).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by