My broody hatched 2! *pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JusticeFamilyFarm, Feb 25, 2012.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    So, I had a rough hatch and ended up having to take the 2 chicks that hatched away from the mama because she was mean... but here are my new little *first* hatch of my own eggs chicks!!! The Roo is a SLW and the mamas could be BO, EE, SLW, BR, BSL, or BA. I'm sure that one of the chicks (assuming it's the dark one) is an EE/SLW because one of the hatched eggs was green and my EE, of course, is my only green egg layer. I'm guessing the other is BO/SLW, since it's yellow- right? My BO chicks (when I first got them all) were my only yellow chicks. The one has a bloody little head because mama hen pecked at it, but otherwise they seem to be doing well now. They hatched early this morning.[​IMG]

More pics to come...

2. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I must stay out of the feed stores until further notice according to DH. "You have enough chickens" he says. " You have chicks on order" he says. "You don't have the brooder set up" he says.
    I says "never can have enough" "chicks don't come until mid May" "brooder is easy to set up" and [​IMG]!

So cute!

4. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Very cute chicks, Poor little guy with his bloody head. :(

5. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    citychick- I'm with you! I'm trying so hard not to go buy some from the feed store so these two can have some more buddies! My husband keeps saying, "but if you have another one go broody, you're gonna try to hatch more, so you don't need to buy any" Ugh! I know that, but I still want some NOW! There's no telling when we'll have another broody (fingers crossed it's SOON). [​IMG]

Apyl- I know, I feel so bad for her/him! I was not happy with my broody when I saw her peck this poor little fuzzy one!

6. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    They are sooooo cute. Love those babies...I have a de that just hatched 2and is setting on several more. Your a good chick mama.

7. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Awww... they are adorable!! Think she's going to go "unbroody" now that they've hatched? It's interested me to read stories about how the mama's are mean to their chicks - makes ya wonder why they wanted to hatch them in the first place if they didn't want them!

Now you're their mama and I bet they'll be sweethearts being handraised!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Aww, your first GrandChicks!
    [​IMG]

9. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    tweetysvoice- I hope she goes "unbroody" now that they've hatched, because I want to hatch more, but not with her- at least not right now. I may give her another chance once she's a little older (all my hens are young- like 10ish months), but I don't want to deal with what we went through this hatch with the good broody/bad mama hen. Maybe she'll be more maternal when she's a little more mature? [​IMG] I'm going to hope that another hen goes broody in a little while so I can try again. [​IMG]
    The chicks are doing well today! The dark one seems to be healing, it's head looks much better. And the little yellow baby is just as lively as can be! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by