My Broody Hen and Musical Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stubbornhill, Sep 21, 2012.

1. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Songster

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I have a hen that has been broody for a couple of weeks. I wasn't going to let her hatch eggs, because frankly I don't know that our young roo is capable of getting the job done.

Anyhoo...every night for 2 weeks I was taking the eggs away from her. She is persistant, so I figured, OK, you can have 3 eggs to sit on. I marked them and put them back under her. The only problem is, every night when I get home, she is off the eggs and in another nesting box. I move the eggs back under her, next day, different box.

How can I stop this cycle of madness?

I don't have a separate brooding facility or option for that at this point.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Segregating her really is a good idea but you don't need a whole separate coop for that. If you can even just take some chicken wire and cordon off a corner of the coop, that would suffice. Make it large enough for a nest at one end, and a small feeder and waterer at the other, so that she has to get up and walk to get a drink. That will encourage her to get off the nest daily and poop outside of it.

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Songster

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    thanks a bunch! I'll see what bwe end up doin. I would be just as happy if she would become un broody. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by