My broody hen died today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Famous Amos, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Famous Amos

Famous Amos New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    My broody hen sat on eggs for a few weeks, but she kept getting kicked off her nest. Then I moved her to a "maternity ward" and she stayed on the nest for another 3 weeks. Her eggs never hatched, but I put day old chicks with her and she was taking care of them for 3 days and then died today. Any idea why?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sometimes a hen will starve herself to protect eggs she is setting. She will also hold her bowels. The two together, with stress and maybe parasites internal or external, will kill her. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG] But, welcome to our flock! [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. So sorry for your loss. Sometimes hens will go broody, and nothing will keep them from trying to hatch eggs. It is upo to us to not let them keep trying to hatch eggs if they have beendoing it for more than a month. It is best to break them for 5 days in a cage with a roost, but very little bedding, and of course food and water. Broodies tend to not eat much, and if they have been broody too long they can starve. I hope you can save your chicks with a brooder and heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by