My broody hen hatched ducklings! UPDATE: Chicks are hatching! w/PICS!

Cowgirl71

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Missouri Ozarks
Look what I found in the broody box this morning...

48412_liesls_pics_524.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_523.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_521.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_522.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_528.jpg

I think I already have a favorite, LOL. The one taking a three second nap is so sweet! The other one likes to hide behind momma, and I had to keep bringing him/her to the front for pictures! But they're both so cute!

The ducklings are a Black Swedish/Khaki Campbell cross. The hen was/is sitting on 3 duck eggs and 7 chicken eggs. The ducks were due tomorrow, and the chicks are due the day after. I don't know why they hatched so early...
I'm SO excited!!!
celebrate.gif
This is the first time I've ever had a broody hatch eggs, and they're my first duckies!

P.S. The hen now has a name... "Ducky."
smile.png

Last edited:

ssbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
That is just adorable!! I wonder if momma will be odded out by the peeping chicks, since she's been hearing little quackers. The chicks might have an idenity crisis
big_smile.png
tongue.png

Cowgirl71

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Missouri Ozarks
Quote:
Nope! I've heard of doing that, but didn't. I figured it would make a mess, with moldy hay, muddy eggs, etc. The main thing I did was excercise self-control to NOT look under her for pips and chicks. Which was SO HARD. Because it's her body of course that's producing the humidity...

Quote:
The ducklings are actually making peeping noises. I was expecting "quack-quack-quack," but they're "peep-peep-peep," very much like chicks. Maybe because they were hatched under a hen? Or maybe they'll start quacking later... I hope so!

Last edited:

ctaynton

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
Eastern Oregon
This is so awesome! I recently had a broody silkie hatch out 6 ducklings! It got interesting when the ducks were bigger than her and still followed her around single file! It was my first broody hatch and ducks also! I never misted my eggs either and they all hatched with no problems! We only kept two of them and are hoping they are both females. I will try to post a pic of mine. It is pretty cute to see the chicken sitting on ducklings!

ctaynton

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
Eastern Oregon
51008_017.jpg

This is what I found one morning in the brooder box. There was one more underneath her.

51008_023.jpg

Here there are following her around.

51008_027.jpg

Here are the two that we kept. They live with the chickens.

Cowgirl71

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Missouri Ozarks
I went down to check on them at 10:00am, and found her off the nest with the two ducklings.
ep.gif
So I put her and the ducklings back on the nest, and eventually got a brooder ready for them in the basement. So at 5:30pm, I went to collect eggs and ducklings.
love.gif
And guess what I saw... A hen OFF the nest
somad.gif
with... THREE ducklings! So I put the three ducklings in the brooder, and momma's back on the nest now, to finish the chicken eggs.
jumpy.gif

ctaynton: That is SO cute how they follow her around! Especially 'cause they're almost as big as she is, and look totally different! But to them, she's "Mom."
love.gif

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom