My broody hen hatchet her second egg today

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommabear23, Feb 4, 2017.

1. mommabear23

mommabear23 New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    So my broody silky hen has three eggs and one egg hatched on its own, and the second egg had a peep. Is it normal for your gen to literally peck the egg and hatch the baby? The baby is breathing but laying in the box still wet. Also how do you sex your chickens?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mommabear23 [​IMG] Welcome!

To be honest, even though I have had hatches with a broody hen here, I could not tell you if she actually helped the chicks hatch. I recommend posting your question on the Incubating and Hatching Eggs Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

With regards sexing your chicks, if you have a ‘sex link’ chick it is easy because males and females hatch out different colours.

Experts can vent sex chicks at 1 day old but that is a skill which takes time to master.

Some breeds can be sexed by feathers in that the primary wing feathers are shorter on males than females.

However, for most of us, it is a matter of waiting a few weeks for them to develop and with some breeds, Silkies for example, you could be waiting a few months before you know for sure and sometimes that is just when they either crow or lay an egg.

When your chicks are 5-6 weeks old, you could try posting pictures on the Breed & Gender Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck with the remaining eggs .. I do hope your little one will have some siblings.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congrats on the new chick (and hopefully more to come).

Teila has given you some very good links to check out, hope they answer your questions.

Thanks for joining us!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations on your broody hatch. Is this her first time being broody? I don't know that broodies help the chicks out of the shell. I would keep a close eye on her around hatching and the chicks in general.

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Yes, never heard of a chicken helping a baby out. Let us know how that baby is doing.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, mommabear, and welcome to BYC, I am a complete rookie regarding all things hatching so I'll be of little help. But it looks like Teila and others have given you some good advice. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC,

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the coop! I am so glad you decided to join the flock and I hope you'll make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by