My Broody Hen is abandoning one of her chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zeezo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. zeezo

zeezo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    This is totally freaking me out. I have a broody hen who hatched chicks two days ago, 12 out of 17. All healthy. Everything was going smooth, today when i was putting feed she suddenly started hitting one of the chick which was hatched at the end. This chick is a really rare breed and is the cutest one. I have no clue what should I do. I put the hen in dark in her nest with all chicks and I am hoping she might accept the chick and won't hit it if I take her out again. Secondly one of my other hen just went broody, will she accept the chick without hatching any eggs? Please reply. It's an emergency. Thanks

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hens will lightly peck chicks to tell them to do what they are told. I'd tuck the baby back under her and hopefully she'll be fine. As for whether or not the other broody will accept it is dependent on how serious this hen is about brooding, how long she's been sitting, if she's brooded before, etc. You never know for sure until you try. I'd give the first hen the chance though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Leave her with her mom for a while, if you start to notice any injuries, then separate them. About the other hen, There no telling if she will accept it or not.

4. zeezo

zeezo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    The Hen havn't accepted the chick so I gave up. She can sense whenever he s around and she start to hit it really bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by