1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My broody hen is killing my keets!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bossynbella, May 11, 2010.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Songster

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I have one banty hen that got to stay when I got rid of the rest of my mutt bantys last year because she goes broody twice every year and has always had 100% hatches! This is our first year with guineas and I figured instead of just 4-5 full size eggs I would give the girl 10 Guinea eggs. Well all went well until 2 days before they where to hatch... she pooped in the box and it covered the eggs. We cleaned it up as best we could, and she kept setting. Monday I went to check to see if any had hatched. She jumped out to go eat and I saw a keet in the corner! IT was cold and couldn't move but was still alive. There was a warm one in the other corner and a dead one in yet another corner. She had been kicking them out after they where dry. So I took the two live ones up and put the lively one in with my polish chicks in the house, the cold one I put into the incubator and Iput all the eggs in there too. including one that was almost compleatly hatched out. When I went up today to take the two out I found three instead! and one more pipped. still 4 eggs to go.
    All the ones that are living are royal purples, the one dead one was a coral blue. With the guineas I hatched in the incubator last week I now have three coral blue babys and 4 royal purples!

Is it cause of the poop? or Cause they are not chicks? How would she know that? I need to know before I set anymore eggs under her. Should I stick with just chicken eggs? or try the guinea eggs agaiN?

Thanks in advance

2. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    If she did good incubating them until they hatched, then I would try again, and this time put them in lock down in an incubator day 18. Just to be sure nothing happens to the babies. Or, if you're just not sure if it's safe to do again, then just incubate them all the way through. At least you only lost the one. Congrats, and good luck!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As a multiple time broody hen, she may be able to tell the difference between keets and chicks. I would not trust her to raise keets again.

4. bossynbella

bossynbella Songster

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    On a related note. I have a first time Large fowl Cochin broody hen on 10 turkey eggs. They are developing and im worried about what she will do when they hatch! Im not sure of a hatch date as they are eggs from a wild turkey. My dog found the nest one day when we where up walking in the timber. She broke three eggs and had scattered the others before I got her away. I kept watch (walking back up and checking from a distance every few hours) and the hen didn't come back so after 10 hrs I gathered them up and took them home. There where over 24 eggs! I put some in incubator (nothing happening in those) and the rest under my cochin. They candled clear when I took them, so I don't think she was on them for very long.
    Will my cochin hatch out the poults okay? Should I just start checking everyday? I hate to bother her that much.... but I would hate for her to kill the babies more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: