My broody hen is struggling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tillicans, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Tillicans

Tillicans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    It's day 21 and my broody hen is struggling. I've brought a dog crate inside the house to keep a closer eye on her. She has got mites, dusted her with pestine before she started , but seems to be infested with them. Dusted her again before I brought her in and trimmed her feathers around her vent.
    She hasn't been eating much so has lost so much weight.
    She seemed relieved to be away from the coop. I'll deal with that in the morning, I haven't slept thinking I'm going to lose her, poor darling. She's the one in the photo. If she does pass, what will I do if the eggs haven't hatched? Not set up for an incubator. I bought one but still,in a box.
    Any other information would be helpful.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    What exactly is she doing that makes you think she's struggling? We need some more info.

I'm not familar with Pestine, but as long as it has some kind of quick-acting pesticide that sounds good. You'll need to use something more than natural stuff or DE when you have an infestation for the hen's sake.

Finally, where are the eggs now? Is she still sitting on them?

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    DE is not natural,Unless you think a Bee killing pesticide is natural.

Broody hens are prone to Mites.For a Quick fast result use Garden dust poultry spray or anything with a Active Pyrethrins.Its normal for a broody hen not to eat.She should do it once a day.

Dust her every night.

4. Tillicans

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia

For the last 3 weeks she has done nothing but sit. Hardly touched her food or drink, slowly she is wasteing away she is very thinI have no idea how she has survived this long. I was initially picking her up and placing food in front of her, she would have a peck no more, drank very little, it's been a struggle all the way, and now we are at 21 days I wonder if she'll make it, her energy is gone. She didn't have mites to start with, I smothered her in pestene powder and put DE under her nest heaps of it.
    She can't stand now falls over and her comb has gone pale she can hardly open her eyes. She's just skin and bone.
    I'm going to see if I can get her to eat some mince today, but seems too late to get her back to her normal self. i read that it was best to leave them alone and they would get up and eat and drink and stretch, this has not happened unless I interviewed.
    She is still sitting on the eggs which is why I believe she was broody but the mites have done a good job on her.

5. Tillicans

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    For the last 3 weeks she has done nothing but sit. Hardly touched her food or drink, slowly she is wasteing away she is very thinI have no idea how she has survived this long. I was initially picking her up and placing food in front of her, she would have a peck no more, drank very little, it's been a struggle all the way, and now we are at 21 days I wonder if she'll make it, her energy is gone. She didn't have mites to start with, I smothered her in pestene powder and put DE under her nest heaps of it.
    She can't stand now falls over and her comb has gone pale she can hardly open her eyes. She's just skin and bone.
    I'm going to see if I can get her to eat some mince today, but seems too late to get her back to her normal self. i read that it was best to leave them alone and they would get up and eat and drink and stretch, this has not happened unless I interviewed.
    She is still sitting on the eggs which is why I believe she was broody but the mites have done a good job on her.

6. Tillicans

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Oops something went wrong.

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would dust her everywhere Butt,Wings then move her to the garage.She will only get out of the nest once a day to eat and drink.The Eggs Haven't hatched yet do even you hear the chirping yet?

8. Tillicans

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have her in my spare room, she is very unsteady, tried to feed her some mince, she cant even open her beak.

9. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    How much eggs is she sitting on?Do you hear chirping?Do you have a Rooster?

10. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Brooding is definitely hard on hens. Having a mite infestation this late in the game could very well be the problem. Do you have any Nutri-drench available there? It's a vitamin supplement that I've had great success with on super weak chickens. She may need something to boost her enough to eat on her own. Another problem is that she's going to know that those eggs are ready to hatch and she's not going to want to leave them for anything.

If you have some type of electrolyte/vitamin available, try to give her some of that in a dropper - but don't force it - you don't want her to inhale the liquid. Hopefully she'll pull through for you. I'm sorry it's been such a hard time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by