my broody hen, ismthis a good idea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ange, May 22, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    My broody hen. I finally took her out of hert nest and placed her in a wire crate, wire all around. She has room to move around in, and food and water. She and the wire crate is up off the dirt ground only about a few inches, so her butt does not jit the ground. I kept her in the same coop as the other hens, just in the elevated wire crate. Is this ok? Or is there something else I should do. I was thinking of taking her out of it in the day, ket her roam, and lock the hen house door, and at night put her back in her wire crate. Is that ok, or should I do somethjing else? She is unhappy in her wire crate

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This should work to break her. Being "unhappy" is part of the scenario that breaks her. Takes her mind? off setting. Do not let her loose too soon, or she will go back to setting.

3. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    ok. How do I know when to let her loose, and should I let her loose in the day. and back at night in to the cage or, what is th ebest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by