My broody hen killed her first two chicks. Why? Need help with wounded

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickendude, Jun 29, 2010.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I have a RIR hen that I let sit on 4 eggs. Well on day 19 the first chick hatched and she peck it and threw it from the nest to the coop floor and it died. The next morning #2 hatched and she did the same to this one. I got #3 as it hatched and have it in a brooder under a light at 95 degrees. The hen is now sitting on #4 egg. I checked this egg and felt the chick inside moving so I will be very vigilant and take it from her as soon as it hatches. The one I have in the brooder now seems strong and is eating and drinking water on it's first day. But it has a flesh wound on the back of its neck. Should I and can I treat the wound? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Rich.

2. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I don't mean to be a pest by bumping my post but I need to know if I should be treating the wound before it may be too late. The wound is from momma hen pecking it. It's not bloody but it is red and moist.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

try putting a bit of neosporin on it and keep other chickens away from it so they can't peck it any more. If you do put more chicks in the brooder with it, put some bluekote or even try blue food coloring on it to keep it from being red (chickens are hard-wired to peck at anything red, it seems... [​IMG] )

4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    You might try a little neosporin ointment on it...it wouldn't hurt & will help with infection.

Pat

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree. Sorry she turned on them like that. Nature is unexplainable. Some broodies just aren't fit to be mothers. Good luck with this injured baby.

6. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Thanks for the tip with the neosporin. I will see if any is in the medicine chest. I do have the chick separated from the flock and the broody. It is in my brooder and seems to be doing well!!! It is eating and drinking. But it is doing alot of peeping. I think it's lonely. As I stated earlier the broody has 1 egg left, I hope it hatches and it will have company in the brooder.

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Chickens are remarkably hardy; it will probably recover fully.

As far as it being lonely, you could try putting in a small stuffed animal for it and/or a mirror.

Good luck!

8. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I just found some triple antibiotic ointment. I think it is a generic for neosporin. I will apply it twice a day.

9. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Spring Chickens those sound like great ideas. Thank you!

10. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    A ticking clock may also be a good idea. The baby is used to hearing Momma Hen's heartbeat. It may be peeping just to make noise.

I started borrowing Hubby's alarm clock before the April brood hatched. Hubby found me another "clock that ticks" and I used it with the May brood. I don't know if it truly makes a difference, but all it cost me was a battery and it won't hurt a thing.

Since new little chicks seem to be pooping machines*, you may be happier with the clock outside where it can't be "decorated". (There is a reason my three thermometers are still in their boxes.)

*Chickens are "portable compost makers" according to my mother. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by