my broody hen killed the chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Noora, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Noora

Noora Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    Hello every body,

I'm new in this subject and started raising chickens last year. Few weeks back I placed 4 chicken eggs and 12 chukar partridge eggs under my broody hen. at day 21, the 4 chicken chicks hatched. after 2-3 days the other eggs started hatching, but the hen killed every partridge chick comes out! is that because the differences between the chicks in appearance? or what? any thoughts please.

2. Rhandi74

Rhandi74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    East TN
    I am new to this also but my broody hen hatched 4 chicks and each one is very very different and she loves them all the same. :) This is not an expert opinion but maybe the eggs hatched to far apart. Just a guess as my hen is my only experience with a broody. Sorry for your losses :hugs

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  3. Pennychickens1

Pennychickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2014
    Same thing happen to me I had a broody hen laying on some buff Orpington eggs for 21 days. After they hatched she killed all of them.i was so upset she will be culled this winter.

4. jomomma

jomomma Out Of The Brooder

I had a broody do the same with fertile eggs from a friend last year, she killed and partially ate the first two to hatch, I managed to save the third one and he is a gorgeous Spangled Hamburg/RIR rooster now. I bought two day olds from a local hatchery to keep him company so he wouldn't be an only baby. The broody never went broody again and I sold her as a still productive two year old.

5. Noora

Noora Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    Thank you all for your reply. next time I will try to keep only one type of eggs (not chicken - but either partridge or quail) and will see the results. The hen is happy now with the 4 chicks.

6. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

She most likely saw them as a threat to her already hatched chicks.
    Sorry for your loss
    Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by