My Broody Hen stopped sitting on the eggs, moved to incubator - can I reintroduce them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrsdressup, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Mrsdressup

Mrsdressup Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Hi There, I had a broody hen so one week in I got her some fertilized eggs to sit on and she did so faithfully for 2 weeks and then suddenly gave up one night when she got very wet. I brought her and the eggs in to get warm but she wasn't going to sit anymore. I pulled out the incubator and the eggs 1 week later are starting to hatch. I'd really like to have her raise them but I'm not sure if they can be put back together after she stopped sitting on them. She's not expecting to hatch eggs right now, would she accept a chick if I slipped it under her at night? Can it be done? Has it been done?

I brought her inside again and tried two of her eggs under her they moved and she freaked out! She's now sitting on a few different room temp mostly because I shoved them under her.

Any input is most welcome! Thank you! Christine, and 10 peeping eggs and Petunia.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If she is still sitting, then it seems that the broody hormones are still there. I'd say its worth a try, but just have your brooder set up and ready to go, in case it fails. Many people have successfully put chicks under broody hens, so yes it can, it just depends on the temperament and disposition of the broody hen.

Good luck!

3. Mrsdressup

Mrsdressup Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    She's not really sitting on the eggs anymore, she doesn't mind them being there but she's not trying to keep them warm or anything like that. Just had 2 hatch! I do think I'll pull out the heat lamp brooder set up, I just think it'd be nicer all round if she raised them like she wanted to. I was hoping she'd remember. Is it dangerous to put a chick under a non-broody hen?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not so sure that she would be take the chicks if she's no longer broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by