My broody Hen. What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenpassion, Apr 15, 2012.

1. chickenpassion

chickenpassion Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Hello.
    I have my Hen sitting on some eggs, and i believe, that the eggs, will hatch in maybe a week. I wanted My hen to raise them, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Cause I have a few other hens, and I'm not sure how well the hens will get along with the new chicks.
    I was wondering if I should take the chicks,(once they hatch.) and put them in a brooded, or will the chicks be ok with the mother hen? And if i do take the chicks away from the Mother hen, then when and how will I introduce the chicks to the other hens, and rooster? I am reading in the learning center about it. but they didn't mention anything about hen's raising their own chicks.
    do i just leave the hen to do her business? or should i step in?

thanks

-passion

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I let my broodies raise their chicks in with the flock. The mama chases off any other hens who get curious. Then when she no longer wants to mother them, around 4-6 weeks, the rest of the flock is used to the chicks, and they can continue to live in with the flock.

It may be safer to raise them separately, but this is their natural way, and besides, I feel the mamas do a much better job than I could. They take care of it alll -- warmth, teaching them to forage, all of it. I've had maybe 6 batches grow up this way, and I haven't lost any chicks to other members of the flock. My roosters have ignored the chicks, but I've read where some help with them.

3. chickenpassion

chickenpassion Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Thank you SO much! This takes a load of my mind!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by