My broody hen x her 1st time x

Dan1991

Hatching
10 Years
May 11, 2009
My pet chicken has gone broody she has been sitting on 11eggs for 11days, im soo excited its her 1st time.
im hoping we will have babies, the only thing im worried about is that she has not been out from sitting on her eggs for 3 days iv taken food to her and she eats it but she wont drink water when i give it to her.
but i havent seen drink so im alittle worried is this normal?? will she be a good mum?? how many will hatch?? when will they hatch??

i know that is 21 days x ill keep everyone up dated x

You need to take her off the nest to get a poo. I've frequently read threads on here of hens who appeared broody, but were actually ill and then died! I'm sure your girl is okay, but you might want to encourage her to get off the nest. Even if you have to actually pick her up.

ok thanks guys ill get her off tomorrow try let her have a poo x bless her she is my babie i love her lol (sounds sad but i do) im sooo excited my 1st babies x my cockerial is a lavenderXlight succex and the hens are a red a light succex and the broody one whitch is white with brown spots x x wonder what chicks i will have x

If you dont see your hen get off the nest, look for a giant poo ball in the nearby area, that is the tell-tail sign. She might be getting off when you are not around, mine does. She might be drinking and eating at that time too.

yeah, they let out a giant poo that stinks real bad. If she doesn't get off the nest she might poo on the eggs, which is a mess.
roll.png

thanks one more thing is will she know what to do ie will she know to turn then and things as its her 1st chicks x

Yes, she will know about turning her eggs. Mine do it with golf balls from the time they start coming on point of lay...

I just hatched my first time with a broody a few weeks ago. It really is great. Lots of fun watching her do all the work for you!

hi all x thanks for everyones helpfull anwers, i had to take her off her nest there was a very large poo x so now i just have to take her off everyday im not sure when she started sitting on her eggs i think its about 11days in x

My broody just hatched 5 out of 6. She didn't get off the nest untill day 18. no water or food. day 18 she took water but refused food back on the nest untill day21 She was clucking softly the next thing you know little fur balls started emerging from under her.

Back
Top Bottom