My broody Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LinckHillPoultry, Feb 22, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Hello again.
    I have a broody hen that insists on sitting on the eggs every day! Whenever we check for eggs, there she is sitting on them. I was wondering if I should let her sit on a few, but the only thing is I'd have to move the eggs out of the nesting box and into the corner of the coop because the other hens get angry when they find a nesting box being occupied.
    It is so cold out though and I'm afraid that if she does hatch an egg, the chick will be way to cold when it hatches!
    What should I do with her?
    What would you do?

2. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    I let my black silkie keep two eggs. Today is day 14. We'll see. [​IMG]

3. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I've got a broody on 13 eggs. I'm keeping her seperate from the others cuz they root her off the nest cause it's their favorite laying box. I'm just gonna make sure it is warm in the house when they hatch. I'll keep the heat lamps on, so I'm sure it will be fine.It will be @ Mar.9 when and if they come. So it will still be cold. But I'm gonna let nature take it's course.

4. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Me too and I'm in Maine! [​IMG] I have two broodies that won't give up either, so I'm going to throw caution to the wind and hope for the best. I collected 6 eggs for each girl to sit on, I set them up new diggs in the front of the coop away from the others and so, Operation Grandchicken starts tomorrow!! We'll see what happens.
    (They will be babies from my own girls and rooster...so they will be my grandchickens!)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by