my broody hens behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowman910, Feb 19, 2009.

1. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    my broody hen will sit on the nest all day and never get up but if i pick her up off the nest and let her run around my backyard she wont go back on the nest but if i pick her up and put her back in the cage she will sit on the eggs again. i dont like to keep her in the cage because i feel bad so i let her out to run around, poop, dust bathe etc.

2. gallo34

gallo34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    she's broody...

broody she is...dont bother her...let her brood...if you keep removing her from the nest...she will eventually...abandon it...she will eat and drink on her own...my girls will go into a "zombie-like" stat...I place both a feeder and water cup near them...this will tell me if she is eating...she shouldn't be off the nest...but, maybe 30 minutes or so...enough to eat, drink, stretch, and sometimes bathe...that depends on activity...she's better off alone, though...

good luck and have fun...she will fine:)

3. gallo34

gallo34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    [​IMG]I meant "zombie-like" state....

sorry about that:D

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I always remove my broody hen and her nest with the eggs and put her in a cage were she will not be bothered .

Put fresh water and feed close by her and she will get off nest for a few minutes to eat and drink . Sometimes only once a day .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by