My broody hens chick has died, what will she do now?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muhelos, Aug 24, 2013.

1. muhelos

muhelos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    Unfortunately the only chick she managed to hatch died this morning, will she continue to stay broody or will she return to normal. It's possible for us to get some new chicks for her but not for a few days, would she even accept new chicks at this stage (The chick was about 4 days old). I would prefer if we could get her back to normal. Can we help her o this in any way?

Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    She will return to normal on her own. You don’t need to do a thing.

3. muhelos

Jul 3, 2013
    How long does that usually take? If we were to give her chicks would she look after them?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It usually takes a day or two to break from being broody when that happens. I have had some immediately return to laying and some that took a few weeks. I’ve had them go through a molt while broody so it took a long time for them to return to laying. They had to finish the molt. They are all different.

I personally would not try new chicks. She imprinted on her chick and now it’s gone. If you are real quick getting her new chicks she might take them to raise. She might reject them or try to kill them. They are all different. If you get some, be prepared to raise them yourself. Have the brooder ready.

5. muhelos

Jul 3, 2013
    ok thanks for your help, we cant get any new chicks immediately so will just leave her to return to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by