My broody hens efforts werent in vein

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by _sonshine_, Nov 13, 2009.

1. _sonshine_

_sonshine_ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I found my broody hen off her nest after sitting for 16 days I knew something was wrong w/ her so I put her in her cage w/ food and water but she died the next day. I could tell the other hens had been through her nest b/c eggs were every where and stone cold. I candled her 11 eggs and only 7 looked to be the same age so I put them in the bator and they were supposed to hatch on Tues. so I waited and waited and really was about to give up and 4 of the 7 have hatched this morning!! I really wanted at least 1 b/c I felt she gave her life for her babies! Just wanted to share [​IMG]

2. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    [​IMG]

3. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

oh I'm so sorry about your broody, [​IMG] I always worry about my broodys, when there on eggs, that they dont eat and drink, so i have little feeders and waters that i put in their nest.

glad to hear you got some baby's [​IMG]

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Congratulations! That must really make you feel better to know that you saved some of the babies; thank goodness you had an incubator backup to put them in. Great story.[​IMG]

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Awww poor momma [​IMG] thats nice some of the eggs hatched!

6. _sonshine_

_sonshine_ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    yes it was sad that she died....this was my first broody and I didnt think she would starve herself to death so I never messed w/ her.....but now I know.

This is the best pic that I could get [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats on the babies!

I'm so sorry about your broody.

8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

So glad you were able to save the chicks [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry for the loss of your momma hen - hopefully your sharing with help future mamma hens. [​IMG]

9. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

So sweet! What kind of hen was she? Are these chicks biologically hers?

10. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    You know...somebody might jump on me for this, but I really don't think it was from starvation. I can't say what it was and you won't find out for sure anyway, but I never lost a hen to starvation. When I would show up with feed and they felt like it was time to eat they would leave the nest a while and eat and promptly return to the nest and they would also leave to poop. I only lost one hen.....Selvia, that was brooding and it was to a preditor. They won't eat as much as normal.....true, but STARVE? I even used a hen to hatch out 3 separate clutches of eggs on one brood years ago and she survived, and I had so many ducks and chicks it was unreal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by