1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My broody is a good Momma!!!! Chirp Chirp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoSpringChick, Jun 3, 2008.

1. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Since my incubator eggs are pipping....I thought I would check on my broody. I stuck four barred rock eggs under her the same day that I stuck them in the (Miss Prissy) homemade bator!!!

Well guess what????? I SAW a completely hatched shell and heard chirping....It's ALIVE! She did it!!! I didn't disturb her...but do I take the chick from her as she hatches them or do I just wait until all hatch????? Please tell me what to do?

I guess I have to set up my brooding box! OH my gosh, I'm not going to sleep tonight. [​IMG]

What a miracle...this is truly an amazing adventure!

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    congratulations!

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Congrats!

You don't have to take them from her if you don't want to. You could let her raise them. It's up to you.

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I agree, you can leave them with her and watch. If she is a good mom it's a lot easier to let the hens raise the young. Also if she has worked so hard on hatching, she would be disappointed if she "lost" her babies.
    Congrats!!
    PS:
    It's also a lot of fun to watch the hens raise the babies, I will just sit and watch them for hours.

5. NoSpringChick

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Love my Critters! :

I agree, you can leave them with her and watch. If she is a good mom it's a lot easier to let the hens raise the young. Also if she has worked so hard on hatching, she would be disappointed if she "lost" her babies.
    Congrats!!
    PS:
    It's also a lot of fun to watch the hens raise the babies, I will just sit and watch them for hours.

Oh Great! Another activity to keep me away from the things I NEED to get done! .....like housework, laundry, homework, making dinner for hubby when he gets home, etc....​

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Who needs to do all that boring stuff [​IMG]

7. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I am also having chicks today and I am leaving them all with there mothers. I would be worry myself sick if I had to take care of them. I am glad they have moms to care for them, one of the little chicks is trying to get out from under mom and she keeps pusing it back, it is just to cute.

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I did the same as you-most of my eggs in the bator, and 4 under broody. She hatched all four eggs, and I wouldn't dream of taking them away. She is such a cute mama, and they all look so healthy and happy [​IMG]
    Congrats on your hatch!

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

As a matter of fact, you can slip the chicks that hatch in the bator under her at night, and she'll take care of the whole lot. Then no brooder to clean!

10. NoSpringChick

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I have the broody in a dog kennel....the black wire kind....and I'm concerned that when the chicks start wandering they will slip though the kennel in into the run......which is a chain link fence run where there are four other hens. I don't want the other hens to think it's a mouse and kill them.

Also, do I need to clean the dog kennel out? ....it's pretty dirty.

My coop is being built and not quite ready; one more week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by