My broody is a mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by darin367, Oct 6, 2011.

1. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    Right on schedule, 8 new chicks this morning.... Funny thing is that another hen is in with momma this morning.. I guess they're gonna split duties....

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Hey, sometimes ya need a BFF to help ya out!

My most recent broody hatched four, and sometimes I thought she was on a swivel base, the number of times she whirled around and back the other way and then whoosh! back the OTHER way again, trying to keep track of those little goobers.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG]

Eight! Wow! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll be getting my broody eight eggs next week, but I probably won't have all hatch. Now, where are those pics of your new chickies?

4. motochick

motochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    aw, so sweet to get eggs for the broody. What kind of egg are you getting her? [​IMG]

5. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

Yeah!

We had an Australorp who hatched 5 a couple months ago and now she's decided it's time to do it again. She has 3 due next Friday [​IMG] Her pal, a tiny Serama, wanted part of the action, but her attempt at two EE eggs failed [​IMG] So we put two babies under her backside last night. They all seemed cuddled in nicely, so we'll see how she does with adopted motherhood!

6. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Arlington, WA
    That's so exciting! One of my white Leghorn hens went broody so I gave her 2 eggs (I've had other hens go broody and then quit setting, so I figured I'd see how she did with 2)....and we're due the 11th & 12th! She's been sitting nonstop, so I think there's a good chance she'll hatch two chicks. I can't wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by