My broody is going to be sorry!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, May 6, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My SF broody Doe is going to be sorry she insisted on a second clutch of chicks when her older ones are just 3 months old.

Her older chicks, the chickateers, were good little children. They were easygoing, always listened to mama, were real quiet. Doe should have been satisfied that she raised three well behaved little chicks. But noooooo....Doe decided she needed another set.

I gave her store bought chicks the day before yesterday; 5 little jersey giants. I was just out checking on the little family. Two of the chicks are running everywhere, despite Doe's clucks to return to her. One is pulling on her beard. One is running in and out, in and out from under her. The fifth one is sitting on her neck, trying with all its might to pull Doe's comb off. They're little terrors!

Maybe next time, like her owner who wished for broodies, Doe will be careful what she wishes for. [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    UM ,,, but gritsar guess who gets climbed on and pecked next? Yep, it will be their foodlady, gritsar. They will ambush you for treats and if you don't anty-up they will mob ya!
    [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    And to think, Impy is NOT the father and they are behaving like that!

So now you have Turken, Silkies, Polish, and Jersey Giants. I thought you wanted CHICKENS? [​IMG]

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    She secretely wants giant Impies. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You forgot, I also have trahmas [​IMG]

Just this morning I remembered my last experience with JGs. When I ordered my brahmas some 3+ years ago, I also ordered two chicks - a JG and a cochin - for a BYCer that lives nearby. I ended up having to keep her two chicks for a few days before we could meet up. I remember telling her at the time... that JG chick is a hooligan! It was the fiestiest little thing!

Beware Ideal's jersey giants! [​IMG]

And Ridge, JGs are chickens; really really big chickens.

Edited for spelling. Geez, have another cup of coffee Kat! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh heck NO I don't!! [​IMG]

Now I'm going to have nightmares, tyvm BooBoo!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I really, really like my JGs. They are huge lumbering fellows (only the cockerels survived the cocci outbreak), but so very laid back and ... like... well.... surfer dudes. [​IMG]

There's Bartholomew, the glossy black one, Ghost, the splash, Angus the other splash with a touch of yellow on his back, and Blue, the blue JG. (Yah, well, running out of names here...)

They WERE feisty as chicks and chicklets, though.

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:Oh heck NO I don't!! [​IMG]

Now I'm going to have nightmares, tyvm BooBoo!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Exactly what I was wondering........ so far, she just has a collection of fancy toilet brushes!

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:Exactly what I was wondering........ so far, she just has a collection of fancy toilet brushes!

I love this thread! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by