My broody is in her fifth week!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christineavatar, Jul 21, 2011.

1. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    My hen went broody about five weeks ago. At first I tried to discourage her. I put her in a crate with an open bottom to 'cool' her down but she hated it. So, after three days in there I let her out and she went back to brooding. I figured to just let it run it's cycle but there is no end in sight. What can be done?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have 3 that have been broody for 2 months. The other pen I was able to break them by locking them out of the coop until about midnight then I let me back in.

3. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    You can sneak a few baby chicks under her at midnight? It worked for my Australorp, now's she's the happiest mama raising 2 babies.

4. christineavatar

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Thank you both for your kind responses but my rooter was killed by a raccoon this winter and the new one isn't old enough to make babies as yet (although he looks like he'll be a good dad when the time comes). I don't have any babies to slip under her. The local feed shop stopped selling chicks a few months ago.

5. DKM

DKM Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Alabama
    I have two hens that have been broody for at least two months! I finally put one in a cage by herself. She wanted out real bad so after one day I let her out. She went back to the nest but now when I open the top of the nest box she runs out! I don't think she is over it yet. So I put the other hen in the "broody jail" to see how it would work for her. I'm leaving her in longer I don't care if she likes it or not. We'll see if this works. I would like some eggs please!

6. christineavatar

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I tried 'broody jail' but she wouldn't eat OR drink in there so I just let her out. I know she hates me now.

7. Shunky

Shunky New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    My two bantom hens went broody around 5 weeks ago as well. We got them each a egg to sit on and they hatched one, then they quit being broody. That's how we solved it, hope that helps!

8. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Quote:Try craigslist for your area. Maybe someone has day-olds or eggs your broody can sit on to make her happy.

9. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Try putting an ice pack under her. It worked for me. You'll have to do it several times a day in this heat, but it was the only thing that broke mine after more than a week of trying. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by